|02-19-2019 01:48 PM|
|Brooke Lancelot||Lol that's precisely what I do. They sleep through the day, so I just place my boy in the bed and he'll sleep. I get in and out as the day passes, he just sleeps. When I have him in my bed and it isn't hot as fluff, he'll go into my shirt and sleep against my tummy or back. He loves laying against me. But if I wake him to kiss him, he'll paw at me and try to bite me 😂|
|02-19-2019 01:06 PM|
|Aj.t||Askeptosaurous made a good point about the bed; the reason everybody recommends worn t shirts in your hedgies house is because of your smell, and your bed definitey has your smell. It’s funny, I have a weighted blanket and Xtina LOVESSS it; I’ll put her under it and she chills out immidiatey, it’s too funny|
|02-19-2019 03:38 AM|
|Askeptosaurus||Let them sleep in your bed. It's warm, they're covered and it smells like you. All good feelings to make them think of you. Couple warnings though, put them on a loose sheet because if they try digging through the tight sheet they can eventually tear through it. Also make sure you get them to poop before you let them in. Rolling in hedgie excrement is an unpleasant surprise. Also REMEMBER WHEN YOU PUT THEM THERE. You'll totally ruin the bond if you accidentally keep sitting on them.|
|01-29-2019 02:02 AM|
|OddDarkMatter91||Thank you, it definitely did help!|
|01-29-2019 01:52 AM|
|Aj.t||Hey there! The problem is simple; each hedgehog is different! I’ve had Christina Hedguilera for... gosh... almost a year and a half now... she still hasn’t opened up to me- at all. Some hedgehogs just aren’t that “friendly”. But don’t worry! Keep bonding with them throughout the day, keep an old t shirt in their house, stick them in your sweatshirt pocket while you’re watching tv, anything that will desensitize them and acclimate them to everything. And make sure you’re giving them the proper care; diet, heat, etc. this can absolutely affect their mood! Hope this helps!|
|01-28-2019 04:34 AM|
|Ria||You dont have to sing you can just talk softly to them, and it will calm them. Obvioysly you can sing if you want. I tend to only sing to her when I'm cleaning her wheel and she gets huff just the sound of my voice relaxes her. You'll find that once they get used to your voice they will just calm from your voice singing or not.|
|01-28-2019 01:03 AM|
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely try them.
And Theodore is so cute!
|01-27-2019 07:49 PM|
Bonding can take a while. I’ve had Theodore for a little over a month and I’m still in the process of bonding with him, though he seems to be getting better. It can take a really long time (up to a year) for a hedgehog to bond with you. You’ve just gotta keep at it and hopefully your little guy willl get used to you. Some tricks for bonding that I’ve used for bonding are,
- Wear a shirt all day for a few days, then put it in their cage. (Theodore now usually sleeps in my shirt.) Make sure it’s a shirt you don’t want anymore.
- Hold his food for a few minutes before you put it in his bowl. This seems to really help, I guess because then their food smells like you, and food is good so that means you’re good (hedgie logic.) Ever since I’ve done this Theodore has been SO much better with me. STRONGLY RECOMMEND!!!!!
- Let him crawl around on you. Theodore always climbs all over me when I hold him. You can just sit cross legged in bed or on the floor and let him climb around. Even putting him in your hoodie pocket while you do homework will help him get used to your scent.
- Be sure to talk to him while you hold him, or while you’re around him so he gets used to your voice. I’m not sure about all hedgehogs, but Theodore loves it when I sing to him, and it calms him down.
- If he rolls into a ball when you pick him and are scared to touch him, pick him up with a towel until he calms down.
Don’t get discouraged if he doesn’t seem to like you. When I first got Theodore, he wouldn’t even let me pick him up and would huff and puff like crazy when I went near him, and I thought things weren’t gonna end well. Now, even though he still huffs and puffs when I pick him up, he calms down a lot faster and seems to enjoy snuggle time, and will even take naps in my hands. The important thing is to just keep at it and never give up. Soon enough, you’ll be really close.
|01-26-2019 01:12 AM|
|Ria||Holly will wiggle a bit until I tickle her tummy then she balls up you have to be ready with camera to get the picture !! Its a lot about timing it right to get the picture.|
|01-26-2019 12:40 AM|
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|