|03-05-2012 05:14 PM|
Re: Itchy Hog
I never thought of that! He does go A LOT when he's running. I would be so glad if that was the reason instead of mites.
|03-05-2012 05:07 PM|
Re: Itchy Hog
Just a thought. Could it be that poo is falling onto his back while he is running and he is trying to get it off?
|03-05-2012 04:59 PM|
I can hear my Dexter scratching a lot at night when he is wheeling. At first, I had thought that it was just due to quilling because I read that it can make them itchy but I'm fairly sure that he is no longer quilling and I can still hear him scratching.
He does not scratch at all when he is out with me and as far as I know he does not scratch when he is just roaming his cage, it only seems to be while he is running on his wheel. It has increased lately too so it seems like every few revolutions of wheeling he has to stop and scratch. I have never seen him do this but his cage is in my bedroom and I can hear it. I haven't notice dry skin on any of his exposed skin areas.
- How old is your hedgehog? Dexter will be 15wks this week (a little over 3 months old)
- How long have you owned your hedgehog? I have had him for 2 months
- Has there been any changes in the 2-3 weeks prior to the symptoms starting, such as, you on vacation, hedgie cared for by someone else, new cage, different cage location etc---No huge changes, I noticed his scratching a while ago but I had attributed it to quilling and decided to wait to see if it stops
- What is the temperature of the hedgehogs cage? His cage temperature is 75-77F
- What is the lighting schedule? a little over 12 hours light, I turn the light on when I get up at 7:30am and turn it off between 8:00-8:30pm
Do you weigh regularly? Yes, weight has been steady at 260g the past two times I weighed him
- How old is your hedgehog? Please state year plus months as a 3 year 1 month old hedgehog is not the same as a 3 year 11 month old hedgehog.
- How long have you owned your hedgehog?
- Has there been any changes in the 2-3 weeks prior to the symptoms starting, such as, you on vacation, hedgie cared for by someone else, new cage, different cage location etc
- What is the temperature of the hedgehogs cage?
- What is the lighting schedule?
Please add dates that symptoms occurred such as, Aug 11 green poop. August 13 diarrhea plus vomiting
Do you weigh regularly? If so, how much has hedgie lost or gained over X number of days.
- normal size
- colour normal
- smell normal, I can definitely smell it but I wouldn't say it's extremely unpleasant
sneezing - normal, not often
Mucous - none that I've noticed
Licking nose? Haven't noticed this behavior
- How many kibble per day? I don't know
- Any difficulty crunching food? nope
- Has there been a new food or treat recently and if so, how long ago? Was this one time, or given daily? no
- Is the water the same as usual? Same
Scratching – frequent, only while wheeling though
Dry skin – not that I can see
Sores – no sores
Rash – no noticeable rash
Quills - no noticeable loss of quills
So I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed similar behavior--only scratching while running. I'm worried about mites, naturally. I took him to the vet for a well visit a couple weeks ago (after the scratching had begun) and I never mentioned the scratching because I thought it was just part of quilling, but the vet didn't notice anything unusual about him. When I first got him I had him on aspen chips but after reading about the mite risk I switched to fleece liners, so I'm worried that I introduced mites already.
My second hypothesis is that it is just dry skin. I used flaxseed oil frequently when he was quilling so I will start to do that again and see if it helps at all. I just wanted to see what you guys thought of this.