Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - Few questions for experienced owners
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 02:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Few questions for experienced owners

So, I have been doing my research and tons of it. I have recently got a hedgehog (so excited) and have some rookie questions. I have found many opinions to be helpful (which I go by), but I am now just looking for some more with answers directed specifically towards me. Anybody who answers this would not only be helping me, but also my hedgie!

-When using a liner, is it okay to have use CareFresh as a litter for a litter box? (I have been told that cat litter causes upper respiratory infections.)

A. Most people here use fleece as a liner as its much more friendly and safe for hedgehogs, see the For Sale Forum for many ideas on that or visit a local fabric store. As for Litter It can't be clumping kitty litter as it will stick to wet hedgehogs bellies, the popular methods are just paper towels of yesterday's news here

-Is it better to get a bigger wheel (CSW) or a smaller, yet big wheel (CSBW)?

A - Its a preference more then anything unless you end up with a REALLY BIG Hedgehog

-How often should I feed my hedgehog food? Also, how many table spoons should I put in the bowl?

A - Food Should be fed every morning or early evening depending on your preference. I perfer morning and I count out how many kibble I but in the bowl and ensure in the morning a few are left this allows me to monitor my hedgehogs eating habits

-Which method of heating is the most effective in your own opinion?

A- This will depend a lot on your living situation, your comfort, the cage, but CHE is usually the choice around here

-Finally, please verify if this information is correct to see if what I have been told and am doing is safe.
-Throughout the week mix up how you feed your hedgehog this.

-Hedgehog Complete (hard food) http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-617 ... hogxxx.pdf

A - Most Hedgehog foods are crap and this one is no exception to that it has By-Product and Corn in it which are bad for a hedgie. In our Diet Section You'll find listings of recommended nutrients and cat foods you hedgehog should be on, please also see the many topics on alternative diets such as baby food mixes and more natural

-Insectivore Fare (wet food) http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-617 ... refare.pdf

A - I wouldn't bother with this I would go for live meal worms and crickets and feed them to your hedgehog. You can always freeze them to ensure long freshness and defrost the amount you wish for treats.

-Hedgehog Booster (sprinkle once a week on wet food) (I read that others do it daily)
-INGREDIENTS: LIVE SACCHAROMYCES CEREVISIAE YEAST , CORN GLUTEN FEED, WHEAT MIDDLINGS, MALT SYRUP AND CORN SUGAR MOLASSES AND DRIED IN SUCH A MANNER AS TO PRESERVE FERMENTING ACTIVITY: SOYBEAN MEAL, DICALCIUM AND MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATES, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, D-ACTIVATE PLANT STEROL, (SOURCE OF VITAMIN D2), VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, NIACIN, RIBOFLAVIN, PANTOTHENIC ACID, THIAMINE, PYRIDOXINE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B-12 SUPPLEMENT, SODIUM SULFATE, MAGESIUM SULFATE, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, FERROUS SULFATE, ETHYLENE DIAMINE DIHYDROIOIDE, COLBOLT CARBONATE, MAGANESE SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, ZINC SULFATE.

A - This is junk it has corn products and suger in it neither are good for a hedgehog there are other ways to ensure they get vitamins such as fruits and veggies

MINERALS: PHOSPHORUS (P) NOT LESS THAN 1.45% CALCIUM (CA) NOT LESS THAN 1.50% CALCIUM (CA) NOT MORE THAN 2.50% IODINE (I) .40% SALT(NaC1) 0.00% ASH NOT MORE THAN 15% ADDED MINERAL NOT MORE THAN 10.50% CAUTION: THIS PRODUCT IS A SUPPLEMENT TO, AND NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR SOUND NUTRITIONAL PRACTICES.

-Glider-Cal (sprinkle twice a week on wet food)
-Ingredients: Calcium carbonate 96.5% Magnesium carbonate 3.5%