Trimming nails - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By xorenaa
  • 1 Post By knlght
  • 1 Post By Akells23

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Trimming nails

My hedgie needs his nails trimmed. Bad. But pretty impossible to do because he won't stay still and just want to hide. Does anyone have suggestions on going about this? The pet store gave me sand paper to put in his wheel which worked great but he pooped in it and I couldn't get clean
Nsped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2014, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sand paper on a wheel is a huge no no. Hedgehogs run on their paw pads which can cause damage, sensitivity, and pain.

Try trimming in water. Hedgehogs usually don't curl up in water. Or try feeding your hedgie his favorite treat while you trim. My hedgie loves turkey so I just give her a piece of Turkey to much on while i trim a few nails.

sc2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

My hedgie always tries to hide during nail trimmings too, I put her horizontally on a t-shirt on my lap and as soon as I grab a foot I pull the side of the shirt over her face so she thinks she's "hiding". And I squish her between my forearm and stomach so she can't run away.

I've tried the treat trick with her, but she can apparently huff and eat at the same time so that didn't really work haha...
Crowley is loved likes this.

xorenaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Wink

if all else fails like they did with Crowley you can always try scruffing.

Crowley would not sit still and anytime i went near her feet for anything she would ball up.

when looking for tips i found a vid on youtube for trimming aggressive hogs nails- it gave me the idea of scruffing- they can't ball up and reduces the wiggling. i do it during bath time, she's calmer and gives a distraction for after iv clipped her nails so she won't stay mad at me for doing it :P

i'd try the other methods first, than if those don't work id look up a few vids of scruffing hedgehog than try that.

if worse comes to worse you can always take them to the vet- they can either do it for you and or show you how to do it.

hope this helps some it took me weeks to figure out how to clip her nails without wanting to give up and cry so hopefully this will give you an easier time of it
Crowley is loved is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

I also do the nail trimming after bath and via scruffing. That way you can carefully trim their nails and avoid the wiggling etc
knlght is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Currently trying to trim Pippy's nails right now and she ran away and hid under my comforter! Lol.

I place Pip on top of her sleeping bag (for her to feel comfortable with familiarity) and hold her and hold the sleeping bag in my left hand. Then I put her favorite treat (meal worms!) out on the sleeping bag on one side- she usually turns her head and sticks out her two feet that are on the opposite side of the meal worm. I clip her nails while she eats. Then I put another meal worm on the side I have already clipped and repeat. This only sometimes works- she has to be really hungry for it to go well!

It takes a lot of trial and error to find out the best way to cut your hedgies nails. Mine is an explorer so whenever she is out of the cage she wants to focus on anything other than what I need her to! Lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in