Johnson and johnson (aveeno) products cancerous - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By fishhead
  • 4 Post By Kalandra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2014, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Johnson and johnson (aveeno) products cancerous

My sister in law posted an article about how johnson and Johnson products contain formaldehyde and can cause cancer. Aveeno is owned by j&j so everyone be on the look out and be careful of you use aveeno products ♥ I don't know about you but it makes me nervous.
Axel1012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Please post a link to the article here.
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

In my opinion, it's always better to use natural products whenever possible and limit our exposure to man-made chemicals and VOCs. I and my kids use Castile soap for our bodies and hair (although my husband still prefers Zest and Head & Shoulders), I don't use commercial household cleaning products except dish detergent and toilet bowl cleaner, I use natural deodorant... My whole thing is, most of the stuff we use probably won't cause cancer or other problems. But some of it might, and there's just not enough information available.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

I looked into this a bit, since I was curious. J&J did have (trace) amounts of formaldehyde and dioxane in some of their products - the one that originally sparked things was No More Tears baby shampoo. Here's an article from 2011 on the chemicals with J&J working to remove these from their products.

http://safecosmetics.org/article.php?id=907

All the articles I've found say that J&J had gotten these out of their products by 2013, and Federal regulations were put into place for formaldehyde.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...for-rules.html

The chemical preservative that J&J was using that broke down into formaldehyde was used by many other companies, none of these chemicals were actually unique to J&J.

The dioxane contamination was mostly unique to baby products, since the chemical process to make things less irritating caused some contamination. Many shampoos use sodium lauryl sulfate, when it's processed to the less irritating sodium laureth sulfate dioxne contamination can occur. Look for "sodium laureth sulfate" on the label of you want to avoid the risk of exposure to trace quantities of a potential carcinogen.
nikki, LarryT, ajweekley and 1 others like this.
fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post

All the articles I've found say that J&J had gotten these out of their products by 2013, and Federal regulations were put into place for formaldehyde.
Which is why I was wanting to see the article. I'm wondering how old the article is and what ingredients they were alerting the public about. This could very well be an old topic brought back to life for an issue that is no longer a problem.
Nancy, Lilysmommy, LarryT and 1 others like this.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah sorry I did get back to here right away. I was just informing you of what I was told. Either way if a company feels comfortable putting formaldehyde in baby wash I can't say I feel comfortable using their product. Usually I do more research before informing others but my brothers fiancee went into labor and I have been spending time with my niece. So next time ill be sure to post an article. I still wont use their products again .
Old 01-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Http://www.worldpublicunion.org/2013...maldehyde.html

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/1/18...m-baby-shampoo

So an issue that was two years ago has only just been solved....no thank you.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

That's an old issue that's been brought back to life due to the recent target date. But is is also current in that it states J&J will not be removing the products until 2015 from their entire line. I've never been a fan of the no more tears stuff anyways.

It would be very worthwhile to look for quaternium-15 and 1,4-dioxane in the ingredient list of the Aveeno body wash product.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in