Any bath time tips? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2019, 03:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any bath time tips?

Hi! I was wondering if anyone has any tips for bath time?

Bella has never liked or stayed calm in the bath but recently it has gotten worse. Last night during bath time Bella gave me a little nip! I feel very bad because she only bites when she’s extremely stressed or scared

I give her treats before and after her bath, in the hope that she’ll associate baths with treats. I try to make bath time a positive experience but it doesn’t seem to work.

In the past I’ve bathed her in about an inch of water but when she balled up she would dunk her head, so now I use the faucet (which is the kind you can pull out) to rinse her quills being careful I don’t get it in her eyes/face. I also use a tooth brush and a small amount of Aveeno wash to scrub. Once she is rinsed, I let her dry off on a towel.

Is there anything I am doing wrong? Anything I could do better? Any tips/tricks that have worked for your hedgie? Please let me know!
Bella.hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2019, 04:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Most hedgehogs don't really like baths, having a hedgehog that actually liked the water is even rarer than getting a cuddly hedgehog !! This is why baths should only been given if absolutely necessary

Holly has always been stressed with baths. She is 1 years old and has only had 2 baths in her life. She does need one because where she's recently anointed and it was really hard to just wipe off she's still a little green and orange in places !!

Someone told me to try do it in a larger area than a bathroom sink, so like a bath, BUT I don't have a bath so they said to put something on the drain to have it blocked but hedgehog safe then fill the shower to a level it can go to and try it. I haven't got around to it just yet but you can try it yourself.

I started to offer Holly sand baths, and this keeps her cleaner - doesn't get rid of the green or orange though !! But gets rid of poo on feet and dirt between quills, so she gets it daily she will use it for at most 30mins by her own choice.

Oh someone also told me they put in a flat plastic lid so it acts as a dry island, so that the hedgehog can choose to get out of the water if they want (they do this when bathing in a bath)

Your not doing anything wrong, its just the way they are, although she could be getting more stressed depending how often you bath her.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ok thanks for the tips Ria! I will be researching sand baths and will try adding a little ‘island’ during baths. 🙂

Old 05-29-2019, 01:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

Sand baths are basically just sand in a tray. I use a corner litter tray with a fleece blanket under it to catch sand that comes out in her playpen, I don't fill it much though. You can used enclosed ones, I was going to make one but haven't had the time. You can use chinchilla sand - not dust you have to be really careful to only get the sand, filtered reptile dessert sand with no added colour. Or buy children's play sand and bake it make it safe. Hedgehogs will naturally use it and some use it as litter too.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ok thanks so much!
Old 05-30-2019, 12:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Bathing steps:

1.Prepare cleaning supplies, including water basin, soft brush, towel, hair dryer, pet shower gel, olive oil, etc.

2.Fill the basin with a little warm water, usually 1-2 cm high. Add a little pet shower gel and mix.

3.Carefully put the hedgehog into the water basin, wet the body, dip the soft bristle brush into the water and brush the back along the direction of the thorn, and gently scrub the abdomen and limbs with the hands.

4.Remove the hedgehog, change the water and put it in, then clean it again. Repeat several times until the body wash is clean.

5.Add a few drops of olive oil to the water and mix. Use a soft bristle brush to evenly brush your back along the bristles.

6.Take the hedgehog out and dry it off with a towel. Dry the body thoroughly with a hair dryer and return it to the cage.

This is my usual help hedgehog bath steps, I hope to help you.
e006073 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 02:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ok thanks! May I ask what the Olive Oil is for? Just curious. 🙂
Old 05-31-2019, 03:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ria

Olive oil can help with dry skin, much like a few other oils, olive oil also loosens the skin and makes them not as uncomfortable during quilling.
Olive oil doesn't have to be used, coconut does the same thing, and they should be rinsed off as well.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

I’ve heard oatmeal can also help with dry skin, so I usually use a aveeno oatmeal wash in her bathes to combat dry skin. In your opinion, which do you think will work better? I have no experience using olive or coconut oil.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ria

To be honest, I think they all work as well as each other, I'd stick with the aveeno oatmeal wash though.
Coconut oil is also great for tattered ears.
Most people only really use the olive oil for during quilling as it looses the skin to make the quilling less uncomfortable them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in