Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Grooming (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Urine Problems (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190366)

OddDarkMatter91 01-23-2019 01:01 AM

Urine Problems

This wheel we bought for Igor seems to bringing alot more problems for us. He loves it, absolutely adores it. He likes it so much, he does his business on it. Feces is fine, I give him footbaths, but the urine...
He urinates on his wheel, then runs and it drips onto him, splashes onto him, ect.

Now I he has a strong smell on him, and I know you're not suppose to bath him more than once a month. Should I just leave the scent be and man up, or is there some loophole?

akitka 01-23-2019 03:53 AM

Can you try tilting the wheel very slightly so the urine will run off of it instead of splashing into him?

Ria 01-23-2019 04:05 AM

I have a litter tray under my wheel, Holly gets off and does most her buissiness in the littler rather than her wheel

Like akitka said you can try tilting it down a little (if the wheel can do that) and then it will run off - this is better when you have a little tray under to that it goes into there instead of all over him or the cage bedding

OddDarkMatter91 01-23-2019 06:32 AM

No the wheel can't, and my boy is use to doing his business in his little hut thing I have. I can try getting a tray and see how that works.
The wheel is very sturdy and made out of steel, so bending it isn't gonna be easy.

belties 01-23-2019 07:15 PM

What type of wheel do you have? Its not one of the metal wire mesh ones is it?

OddDarkMatter91 01-24-2019 12:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, its dirty. Its early in the morning and I usually wash it in the afternoon so that I put my hedgie into a clean cage. (He sleeps with me through the day in my bed)

nikki 01-24-2019 06:52 PM

Those wheels are dangerous to hedgehogs. The crossbars are known to have injured hedgehogs in the past when they tried to get off while the wheel was still turning. Hedgehogs seem to enjoy jumping off and on while the wheel is turning so they need a wheel that doesn't have crossbars.

belties 01-24-2019 09:24 PM

Wow that thing looks like it could be a giulatine if it was going very fast we he tried to get off.The better wheels for hogs have a bearing on one side and the other side is completly open. Ours will bail out at a wide open run ,run around her pen and jump back in before it slows down. She a speed junky!

OddDarkMatter91 01-25-2019 02:39 AM

Its the only wheel I found here at the shops big enough for him.

belties 01-26-2019 12:21 AM

The storm wheels advertised at the top of the page are very good. Maybe you could have one shipped to you. I think there may be a post on building your own wheel from scratch on here also. There is really not that much to them. A lot of people have made their own.