Nail Trimming - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2018, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Nail Trimming

Hello,

I have noticed that my Henrys' nails have been growing at a very fast pace, and every time I cut them the red line/vessel thing that you don't cut seems to be longer.

I read somewhere online that if his nails get too long the red line grows, and that you are supposed to cut the red line every so often and it will get shorter.

I do not want to do this! and I am kinda freaking out a little because his nails are decently long but I do not want to cut the red part, and I don't want to hurt him. He makes a little "click click" sound when he walks on my floor (Hardwood) and when he's on carpet it doesn't sound much better.

I thought that maybe I am not cutting them short enough and the red line grows longer in the little portion I didn't cut?

Am I supposed to take him to the vet for this? Because I am not too sure what to do, and I have purposely not been cutting down to the red line so I do not hurt him

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Khali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2018, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Please do not cut the red line!!! I don't know who is passing around such bad information, but that is the quick of their nail and you will injure him if you do so (lots of bleeding). It would be the same as if you cut into the pink part of your nail-- imagine how painful that would be!

If you're very worried, you could take him to the vet for a professional opinion but I will say that my hedgie does have relatively long nails and I did worry about this at one point. I cut as close as I can to it but am always paranoid of hurting her, so I don't mind leaving them slightly long. It has not affected her quality of life in the slightest. She's able to run and move perfectly fine and as she's prone to dry skin, she scratches a lot but has never cut herself, poked her eye, or anything of that nature.

Just keep them trimmed as close as you can and as long as the nail isn't curling around in on itself, it should be okay.
LuckFupus458 likes this.
angryfugu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryfugu View Post
Please do not cut the red line!!! I don't know who is passing around such bad information, but that is the quick of their nail and you will injure him if you do so (lots of bleeding). It would be the same as if you cut into the pink part of your nail-- imagine how painful that would be!

If you're very worried, you could take him to the vet for a professional opinion but I will say that my hedgie does have relatively long nails and I did worry about this at one point. I cut as close as I can to it but am always paranoid of hurting her, so I don't mind leaving them slightly long. It has not affected her quality of life in the slightest. She's able to run and move perfectly fine and as she's prone to dry skin, she scratches a lot but has never cut herself, poked her eye, or anything of that nature.

Just keep them trimmed as close as you can and as long as the nail isn't curling around in on itself, it should be okay.
Oh good! I was really worried, but maybe that was just me being paranoid. He doesn't have any problems walking or trotting around, but I will still bring it up with the vet next time we go Thank you
angryfugu likes this.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

If your super worried about them being too long you could try using a really small file, like the really little nail ones you can get. Because they are so little and so fine they work great on little feet. I wouldnt let it tough their skin of course. Its like filing down your own nails. This is what I do to get Holly’s nails shorter as she never sits still when trying to cut them, so we cant get close to the quick, so to get them shorter I just file them down its safer, cant hurt her and she stays still for doing this, plus shes not as scared of the small nail file as she is the nail scissors.
So maybe you could try this if your really worried about their length.
I do still cut Holly’s nails when they look like the need it otherwise I just file them down once a week in bonding time, sometimes less depends on their length.
angryfugu likes this.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2018, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

I will look around for a small file but Henry probably wont stay still no matter what I use. Is yours a grain based file or metal?
Old 09-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

I think its grain based. I can double check for you though if you would like. Its really easy to use. I just have Holly lay sort of on my arm but her stomach is against mine and then I just hold her foot still while she lays there cuddling.
We’ve also tried doing it where she just lays on my stomach however she wishes, then I gently take her foot and hold it still and file them down. But she just lays there and I work around how she wants to lay. Shes pretty good when doing this.
I can show u a picture of the nail file as well of this helps so you can see what your looking for. And I’ll have a look at the packaging and see what it says it is
Old 09-16-2018, 02:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

They are grain based nail files.
I use these for a lot of things except for my nails because I dont have long nails to use them on. They are just normal nail files that you can use on yourself as well.
The ones I have have 3 sizes the two small ones and then 2 large ones. But I would never uses those large ones on Holly, its just the easiest way to find those small omes here.

The light colour isnt as rough as the black. Its also a little easier to use on hedgehogs little feet. But both these work, I have tried both, however the brown is a bit better for little feet like theirs.
If you want the picture of the package to see if you can find these exactly then just say
Otherwise your looking for something like this. Those two sizes the are best. If you do get these exactly then I’d go for the light colour one.
Khali likes this.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

I will see if they have any for babies because I can't seem to find that exact kind, also is it ok to do this while they're eating because Henry does not relax ever.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ria

I hevent tried when she’s eating. But I guess if thats how you can get him to stay still then you could try it. I mean people cut them when they eat so as long as your carful it doesnt touch skin I dont see a problem with trying when hes eating
They dont have to be the exact same, any small fine nail files would work, have a look around baby ones or maybe the makeup area in shops will have some, not sure. Could also try looking on places like amazon and searching there and see if you can find them online and get them ordered
Old 09-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

First of all, I don't know why no one's mentioned this but the kwik recedes as the nail gets shorter, so it's something that you can catch up to. The red line is called the kwik by the way. If the file works for you great, but it sounds like it would be a lot of motion which would scare him no? I'd use a Kaytee Pro Nail Trimmer and it's easier to sneak in an snip a nail when they're not looking. By the time they react, it's already snipped. It's fine if it takes a while to get used to clipping their nails, it's the single most frustrating thing about taking care of a hedgehog.

Here, this is a guide for clipping dog nails but it applies to hedgehogs too. https://www.vetbabble.com/wp-content...ng-Diagram.png

What you might try is getting a partner and having them hold Henry so that you can concentrate on trying to get his nails and not trying to hold on to him. Also, don't sweat it too bad if you nip the kwik every now and again. It's like clipping your own nails too short. Yes there is such a thing as going too far but you can recover from a little nip even if it's uncomfortable. Just try to get a nail or two every day and don't continue if you nip his kwik a bit. Though again I stress that is not to say that you can't go too far. If you think you'll clip too much, stop then try again.
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in