Nail trimming - he's bad! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2017, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Nail trimming - he's bad!

Hi!

I got a 8 months old hedgie about 3 months ago (Shakespeare!), he's doing great! He likes to cuddle in a blanket between my legs at night, eats well and spins in his wheel every night.

The only concern I have is about his nails: I tried to trim them when calm, when in the bath, anything, but he absolutely despises it. He makes sudden moves and I'm way too nervous to cut his nerves.

So, maybe a silly question, but would there be a ''natural'' way to do it? I mean, how would they trim their own nails out in the wild?

If I found some sort of rock or polisher, would he end up using it by himself to actually trim his own nails? Even the vet wasn't able to cut his nails, and she's pretty experienced!

Thanks!
S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SHAKES.jpg (168.7 KB, 14 views)
smalltownlassie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2017, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey! Aw what a cutie ^.^

Have you tried distracting him with food/his favourite treat as I find that works for footbaths and nail trimming. My boy is similar, doesn't like either but if he's distracted he doesn't even notice (most the time!).

Here's a link another member posted with a good method, which is similar to what I do.
https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...ng-method.html

I find covering his head with a blanket helps as he hates the bright light and if you do have someone to help you hold him still whilst you try this should make it easier. I had to trim my boy's nails the other night, he needed a footbath first to get the poop off, so the food distraction worked well for that but when it came to cutting the nails he kind of had enough and wasn't having it or wanting anymore food (so just try do his nails and not a footbath on the same night). But after a while of my boyfriend holding him still he would eventually relax enough to let me clip them (he just gave in to it more like! The poor thing).

As for natural ways, I'm not entirely sure about this, maybe someone with more experience would know for sure but I recently purchased a terracotta tunnel for my boy as a cooling place and he often scratches away at it for what ever reason (trying to burrow or eat it I don't know haha as sometimes he bites it too! ><). Anyways I can't say I noticed it did anything as they needed trimming this week. But you do wonder what they would do in the wild... Good luck!
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in