Finally got to trim nails! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2017, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Finally got to trim nails!

I've had Rainey now for about 4 1/2 months now, and finally trimmed her back toe nails. I've been working on slowly trying to hold her feet, and following the other tips (which have been great, btw) recommended here. I was hoping that I could let her nap on me this afternoon and clip then. No such luck, but I did get a good look at her back nails and knew it needed to be done NOW before she gets hurt because of my timidity. So off to the bathroom sink. I tried first with no water, but she just curled up. So I put about an inch of warm water in the sink, and held on to her foot while I clipped (I was always too afraid I would hurt her feet before). She wasn't happy, but I got it done.

Of course I wrapped her up good and sat in front of her heater to let her dry. Boy, she was mad at me for daring to get her wet AND clip her nails! At first she refused the mealworms, but she did finally accept my "peace offering". She is now back in her igloo, napping, and hopefully she will have forgotten about this by this evening.

Thanks for the suggestion on clipping in the sink, and those posts that told us newbies to man up and just get it done! I feel so much better now that I'm not worried about her back toe nails. Thanks again!
Kjbittick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Congratulations!! Sounds like a job well done... I'm so envious. My little Mabel is nowhere close to letting me even touch her feet, let alone clip her nails.
whimsybird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

I got bitten one time for trimming nails haha.

I swear it's only a few of them that grow big though, the other ones remain small. I realized with some of them you don't have to cut them even.

For example, the outer back toe nails, they don't grow long but instead curl up. When it's curled up it's easy to break off. it basically falls off itself.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks! And she is still mad at me, lol. Oh well, she will get over it, and we are still having our bonding time even if she is mad!
Kjbittick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in