Tips for trimming tiny pinky nails? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By ArizonaHazelnut
  • 2 Post By AnnaLK
  • 1 Post By beccadango

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hello! I am currently trying to trim Poppy's nails but she is not having it! I trimmed her middle back nails but she won't let me trim her front or pinky nails. Any tips? Her nails are too long and curling under so I want to trim them now before they get to a painful point. Thanks!

Update: I just tried to clip her front nails and she bit me. She did not hold on and did not break skin but it certainly startled me as she has never done that before! Please help!

Last edited by Poppy_the_hedgie; 01-09-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Poppy_the_hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

I try not to stress Floyd too much with nail trimming. Have you seen wild hedgehogs? THey have some huuge nails, which leads me to believe long nails aren't necessarily a bad thing, as long as they don't catch onto stuff. Floyd is an avid fleece scraper, recently he broke one of his front talons, thankfully it didn't get infected.

Another reason I hate trimming nails it because I always seem to cut the quick. And even after I've cut the back nails, hurt my hedgie, they still stay pretty darn long, so I try not to stress him out with it. I cut one here and there, that's about it.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Have you tried trimming her nails while she's in the bath? That works well for my Hazel! I'll usually have about an inch of warm water, and then snag a foot and clip quickly. My Hazel won't curl up because of the water, and I think it distracts her from the task as well.

Hedgehogs do need regular nail trimming, particularly if your hedgehog's nails are starting to curl under. If they curl under the pads of her feet, and start cutting into them, she'll have a hard time walking and wheeling (not to mention being in pain). Have you checked with your vet to see if they can do it for a small fee (provided your vet is experienced with hedgies)?
nikki and Lilysmommy like this.
ArizonaHazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
I try not to stress Floyd too much with nail trimming. Have you seen wild hedgehogs? THey have some huuge nails, which leads me to believe long nails aren't necessarily a bad thing, as long as they don't catch onto stuff. Floyd is an avid fleece scraper, recently he broke one of his front talons, thankfully it didn't get infected.
Hedgehogs we keep as pets aren't the same hedgehogs in the wild, and need their nails trimmed. Wild hedgehog's nails also get naturally worn down.
Nail trimming is important because the nails will eventually get too long, and prevent the hedgehog from running properly. It can also lead them to break, as you've experienced, and that can cause infections.
As per the original post, just keep trying. As already suggested, sometimes trying to trim during/after a bath might help. Sometimes it takes me 5-10 minutes before I can trim a nail. You just have to be patient, do a little bit at a time, and know when they've just had enough.
If your really desperate, though, you might be able to get your vet to do it. That's what I do when Echo just has had enough of me trying

AnnaLK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017, 12:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

The method that works with my hedgehog is to put him on a flat surface on a towel (he loves towels/fleece/blankets, so he feels comfortable on one). Then I give him a small bowl of his favorite food (cooked chicken).
As he is eating I trim his nails. He's too distracted to move his feet away, and he doesn't want to stop eating to run away/pull his feet in etc. So I can cut almost all of the nails in one sitting.
ArizonaHazelnut likes this.
beccadango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in