How to dry a hedgie after bath? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Poppy_the_hedgie

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to dry a hedgie after bath?

Hi! So I just gave Poppy her first bath. She had poopy boots and her skin is dry due to quilling. I put a some drops of coconut and olive oil in the water to help moisturize her skin and I used Aveeno soothing oatmeal wash to clean her quills and feet with a toothbrush. I used a blow dryer set on low to dry her tummy, fur, and some quills but she looks wet and oily. She is wrapped in a towel and I put her on my chest to keep her warm while she dries. Now, her quills still appear to be shiny and slippery. Did I put too much oil in the water? What should I do to make sure she is fully dry before I put her back in her cage? Thank you!
Trollzilla likes this.
Poppy_the_hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2016, 12:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Have you tried using a soft blanket or towel?
Spork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2016, 02:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes I tried stroking her with a towel and wrapping her in one. She is dry now but her quills still appear greasy and slippery. I will put less oil drops in next time. Hopefully the extra drops help her skin though!
Poppy_the_hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Drying Off

When I give Hazel a bath, I usually start with a small hand towel to get the worst of it off (be careful to watch those towel threads, they can get caught on hedgie toes) and then switch her to her fleece snuggle sack. I keep her (in her snuggle sack) against my body, usually between my shirt and hoodie for about 30-45 minutes to be sure she's dry before she goes back in her home. I've read that it isn't good to use a hair dryer on them, as even warm drafts can be hard on them. I usually sit in our small bathroom with the space heater running (not directly on her) while I hold her. That way the room is warm enough, and she's against my body heat.

I'm not sure about using oil...the Aveeno Oatmeal bath is usually enough for Hazel's skin. I would use it scarcely, like not more than a drop or two, as you don't want her to be too oily!
ArizonaHazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in