How often can I give an oatmeal bath? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By twobytwopets
  • 2 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2016, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How often can I give an oatmeal bath?

My Hedgie has dry skin right now and oatmeal baths help her a lot and get her skin looking nice again. I have given her two oatmeal baths in about three weeks.

I am wondering if that is too much or if I can give her them more often?
It's not too cold where I live right now. It gets around seventy to ninety during the day and her house stays between 75-80 ferenheit.

I always wrap her in a towel and dry her off and let her use a heating pad on low after her baths.
StellaBella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

I normally give my hedgie a bath about twice a month using Aveeno baby oatmeal extract. But if yours is prone to dry skin I recommend getting flax seed oil pills and put a little on the skin and mix a small amount in the food. If you put too much in the food they will get diarrhea. You could probably use an old tooth brush to brush the oil on the back. I've used the oil on my hedgie and it worked for me. Hope this helped.
Zhade18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2016, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhade18 View Post
I normally give my hedgie a bath about twice a month using Aveeno baby oatmeal extract. But if yours is prone to dry skin I recommend getting flax seed oil pills and put a little on the skin and mix a small amount in the food. If you put too much in the food they will get diarrhea. You could probably use an old tooth brush to brush the oil on the back. I've used the oil on my hedgie and it worked for me. Hope this helped.
Thank you Zhade! I will get some flax seed oil pills. Are there different kinds? And should I just put a drop in her food and then put the rest on her skin?

How often should I put some on her skin?
StellaBella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would just say a few drops in the food and then some on the hedgie. They are squishy liquid pills(capsules) so you have to use like scissors to cut them open a little. And there is no different kinds it's just the pill capsules you'll see in Wal Mart or any store in the medicine isle. If it helps at all I would love to know. And I would only do it every time you feed yours. I give my hedgie a week of food and put it in but if you do feeding every day separately then I would only do a really small amount on the food as you don't want diarrhea. You can even do it after a bath if you give baths.
Zhade18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2016, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Is there a reason you feed weekly instead of daily?
There are plenty of reasons to feed daily, especially if you are adding any liquids and or fats to the food.
nikki and Lilysmommy like this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

I bathe Soda Pop once a month and I add olive oil to her bath water to help with dry skin. When I first got her, her skin was super dry and flaky; it looked like severe dandruff when I noticed that she was quilling. Her skin has progressed much better overtime. I've found that Aveeno and Dove works best for her.
Cranky_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Hedgehogs should get fresh food and water daily and have their dishes cleaned daily as well. Food becomes stale sitting out for a week after a hedgehog has been eating it and dropping crumbs into the dish. This is also a good way to give a hedgehog digestive problems.
twobytwopets and tofrus like this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2017, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm having the same issues with dry skin on my Hedgie. It almost looks like he has lost quills but I don't see any in the cage. I used Aveeno shampoo on him last night. I was unable to find flaxseeds in walmart. Can I give him another bath today and put a few drops of olive oil on him? I can here him scratching and I feel so bad. He's been soooo grumpy for the last week. I've only had for a couple of weeks. He's definitely changed in the last week. Thanks for any advice!
Danigirl36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Please try to start a new thread next time, it can get confusing to have old threads brought back up with new questions & it's easy for your question to be missed.

Yes, you can use olive oil instead, both on him & on his food. However, it's a good idea to make sure he doesn't have a skin infection or mites first, especially since oil on the skin can make a skin infection worse.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dry skin, oatmeal bath

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in