Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - rash on body, swollen ear with a lot of ear wax, and skin tag looking thing by his bu
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
elliotthehog

Default rash on body, swollen ear with a lot of ear wax, and skin tag looking thing by his bu

hey okay this is my first time posting on here and I decided to make an account because I've been having trouble with my hedgehog from day one

1.the first problem was that his ear is super swollen up and always has been. There is also an excessive amount of ear wax coming from that ear that dries up and sticks to his fur. I posted a picture of his ear and how much ear wax had built up after ten days because I was on a trip and couldn't clean his ear. It also bleeds sometimes too inside and now outside I guess too because theres a scab on the outside of his ear.

I have been to the vet about it and they took a sample of it and it apparently came back inconclusive.

the second time I went to the vet (for the next reason) I mentioned his ear and the vet gave me some stuff to put on his back for possible mites but it didn't seem to do anything

2. the second problem is for a little while he had this weird skin tag looking thing on his butt (check the pictures) and it would sometimes bleed which worried me because it's so close to where he poops.
That picture was from a while ago and I haven't gotten a very good look at it so I'm not certain if the skintag thing is gone but his tale doesnt stick out like it used to, it's almost as if its tucked inside his butthole?? it looks kind of sore too. I took him to the vet and they didn't do much they said they could try to remove it but didn't give me a diagnosis or anything and I couldnt get it removed because I didn't have the money to do so.

3. the problem he is having now that is new and I am extremely worried about is this rash like thing all over his body (check pictures). I don't know where it's come from and I can't tell if it's tender or not because he's naturally irritated/grumpy so I don't know if he is acting tense because of that or the rash. I'm planning on taking him to the vet asap but I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas of what could be wrong with him.

another thing that might relate to any of these things, I'm unsure of how normal it is for them to shed quills after quilling but he loses quills regularly like if I take him out he will usually lose 1-3 quills but he doesn't look spotty so I'm not sure if thats normal or not
the quills he loses has a ball like thing at the end of them too and I remember reading something about that maybe relating to mites?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0565_1489418187687.jpg (135.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1109_1489418509280.jpg (94.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4209_1489419060883.JPG (667.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4208_1489419082398.JPG (680.3 KB, 44 views)
elliotthehog is offline   Reply With Quote