Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - Hermie: possible URI
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
orangebeck

Default Hermie: possible URI

Hi everyone. I adopted my hedgehog Hermie from Nancy about 5 years ago (hi Nancy!). He is exactly 5 years and 4 months old today, which I believe is fairly old for a hedgehog. He generally just spends his time sleeping, eating, and drinking.
Two weeks ago he just stopped eating. I thought it was because he was old and getting ready to die. So I watched him and waited. By Monday night, nothing had changed, and he hadn't died. At that point I realized he was just going to end up starving to death (rather than dying of old age) if I didn't do something. So I started syringe feeding/"watering" him. Every now and then he would eat a couple of kibbles. Then after a couple of days he started eating quite a bit more kibble. I've continued syringe feeding him ever since, because he's still not eating enough on his own.
However, a day or two ago, he stopped being interested in food again. Today when I woke up and checked on him, I noticed he was making these weird clicking noises with his mouth/tongue and breathing oddly. Then I noticed he was blowing frothy little bubbles out of his nose. Sometimes he even seems like he's breathing through his mouth. He's also wheezing.
I'm thinking this is a URI, and I am going to take him to the vet tomorrow (if I can get an appointment). I'm afraid it may be too late for him though.
What I'm wondering right now is if there's some way to alleviate some of his breathing troubles until I can get him to the vet tomorrow. Would steam help him to breathe easier? He's having a really hard time right now, and he's so old that it's just painful to watch and not be able to do anything.
Any ideas or advice?

Rebecca
orangebeck is offline   Reply With Quote