Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - Quill loss. Quilling? Mites? Sick?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 02:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
badwolf

So, update. Today when I looked him over, he had VERY dry skin. (Yesterday, it was a little dry, but in the typical hedgie skin kind of way) It was flaking pretty bad so I tried rubbing his quills with a dark shirt, and none of the flakes moved. I know that isn't a definitive test though, so I'm still worried. Especially since he lost a lot of quills since yesterday night. Probably another 40.
He still hasn't been scratching at all though. (And tbh, I barely slept last night watching him and to my knowledge he didn't scratch once.)
There's no bald spots at this point, but there are like, two small areas where he might seem a little thin on quills. I tried to see if new quills were coming in, but it was hard to tell with his skin so dry.
I'm seriously thinking I will take him to the vet, but this is seriously the busiest, absolute worst week, so I really don't know when I will have time.
That being said, I don't know what to do about his dry skin. Should I put some oil on him to help, or should I wait, in case he has mites?
badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote