Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - Signs of obesity?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 01:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
hanhan27

Default Signs of obesity?

Mildred has been in my home for almost 4 weeks now. (She's a little over 2 months old) She has settled in nicely, loves her food mix, and adores her CSBW. She wheels almost every night. On days like yesterday, when I had to interrupt her sleep at 5pm to clean her cage and give her a bath, she usually doesn't wheel at night, but other than that she's pretty regular.

I'm a little concerned that she may be getting overweight. I have seen pictures of VERY obese hedgehogs, and she doesn't look like that, but she is looking... plump. Her bottom honestly looks pretty large. The scale I have been using to track her weight is broken right now, but on June 2nd she was 230g, and I can see a noticeable difference in her size since then. She isn't a baby anymore, lol.

Her food:
Purina One Beyond - Salmon & whole brown rice (33% protein, 14% fat)
Chicken Soup for Cat Lover's Soul - Adult cat light (32% protein, 9% fat)
Natural Balance - Green pea & duck (30% protein, 12% fat)

Is it possibly that such a young hedgie is overweight? When she balls up, she can still hide everything. I think I'm just being paranoid, but I wanted to make sure. I can post pictures if need be.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote