Hedgehog Central banner

Is this simply dry skin or worse?

941 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  132106 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I recently had a hedgie given to me as a present, so I'm only learning still. I'm a very anxious owner and am looking for some reassurance here. So basically my hedgie was completely fine until last night (its monday here) I bathed her using Johnsons baby shampoo, which I read was suitable, on Thursday last. I didn't use anything else, no oils etc. Last night I noticed when I played with her skin was flaking off, there doesn't seem to be any in her bed but it's coming off on me. I haven't noticed her scratching when I watch her or play with her. I noticed about 5 quills have fallen out in the last 5 or so days, she's is about 23 weeks if that's relevant. I've read that flax oil works for dry skin. This might sound stupid but how do I apply it besides adding it to the food? Like how do you get it onto her skin through the spikes with minimal discomfort for her? I tried checking her skin for mites and I can't see anything, it looks a bit dry but I'm really not experienced with this! Obviously I know her health is priority and will visit the vet if needs be but I'm trying to avoid this where possible as I'm broke right now. I'm wondering if you guys think the bath with that particular shampoo could be the cause of this? Also, if it is mites can i catch then off of her? Thanks - I'm really worried :(

#2 ·
Baby shampoo is actually not recommended although it's an easy mistake to make. Baby wash that's unscented is fine, but for some reason the shampoos bug a lot of hedgehogs skin. Judging by the time frame this could definitely be what caused her skin to react.

I would hold off on the oil for now and just give her a bath in warm water. Depending on what it is the oil can make it worse.

Don't worry! I'm sure her skin will be better in no time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.