Hedgehog Central banner

Dying a hedgehog?

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Katten 
#1 ·
I have only been able to find albino hedgehogs in my area... I was wondering if anyone knows if dying them with food coloring or something safe would irritate their skin.... obviously if it is gonna hurt the little guy I wouldn't do it. But just curious if that's okay?

#3 · (Edited)
Whoa, definitely not okay. Hedgehogs have sensitive skin and although food colouring is edible, I wouldn't do it. Most other dyes contain harsh chemicals that will definitely not be good, either. The idea of dying an animal for aesthetics is very ethically questionable. If you don't want an albino, then don't get one; don't alter another living being for something superfluous like that.

It made it on the news, how you shouldn't dye a hedgehog.

#4 ·
Dying a hedgehog is never okay. The dye could easily be dangerous and toxic for the hedgehog, as they are sensitive little animals. The process could also be traumatic for the hedgehog. Simply put, it's just cruel. Plus, why would you want to change their natural coloring? If you don't want an albino, then keep searching for a different (natural color).

Dying an animal for aesthetic purposes is just crazy, in my opinion. You see the same thing with hermit crabs who have painted shells...they eat the dye/paint and often get very sick and pass away. Its dangerous and not how the animal/crustacean was created.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.