Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - Is my hedgehog hibernating?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2016, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hammy

Is she responsive when you bother her, and does she unravel from the ball if you leave her alone? When you do handle her, does she radiate a cool feeling? What's her light schedule like, and what temperature do you have her cage set for?

You move when you do homework (i.e., shift sitting positions, leaning, movement for typing or writing, etc). That'll jostle her, and that could explain being balled with quills up. Especially so since she's still pretty uncomfortable with you. It's better to have her in a sack on your lap when you're not moving, like watching a show or reading a book.

Being a tight, angry ball of quills is their defense mechanism, and they're very patient. They'll stay that way until the "danger" is gone, so making loud noises is the opposite of what would bring her out of the ball. Again, because she's uncomfortable, she's not going to move. Are the lights on? Since she's so new to you, she probably doesn't want to move out in the open when there's sound or light.

Also, if she was attempting hibernation, you'd want to warm her up slowly to not shock her. You'd want to warm her by putting her under your clothes or use a human heat pad on low, not put her underneath an overheating heat lamp. You should read these two stickies about Hibernation.

Munchkin
(also known as "Munchy", "Crunchy", "Crunch Wrap Supreme" & "The Cranky Crayon")
Born on 10/09/17.

The Canadian Quill Zone: On Hiatus due to grieving.
Etsy | Facebook | Instagram

RIP Marcy (Marceline).
Gone, but never forgotten.
I wish the stars had visiting hours so that we could play again.
10/23/14 - 11/20/17
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote