Hedgehog Central banner

Extremely dry skin

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Salt&PepperHedgie 
#1 ·
Hey all,
So my little girl (now named Athena) has been with me for a week now and I've noticed she has really bad dry skin, there's flakes of dead skin on her. And just this morning I noticed she's losing quills. I found 5 on my bedroom floor when getting ready for work. I was reading up on the two on the forum and most of it was hedgehogs under one year old but Athena is almost 3 so she's not quilling. I know stress can also make hedgehogs lose quills and just moving in with me and trying to get her use to me may be making her stressed. Athena isn't scratching either and I haven't seen any mites so I'm not sure if she may have mites or not. She's also currently on iams kitten and I'm currently transitioning her onto new food but both have chicken and I'm not sure if hedgehogs are like cat/dogs but is it possible for them to be allergic to chicken? I was wondering if I should switch her to something without chicken or maybe even take her to the vets to get her checked out? Is there anything I can give her to help with the dry skin to clear it up?

#2 ·
Hi! So I had this problem literally five months ago with my lil boy. He had dry skin and was losing lots of quills and he wasn't quilling and he didn't have mites. I started putting a few drops of flaxseed oil on his food and every few months when bath time rolled around I would put some lavender in the tub. I live in a high desert so its not very humid and he gets dry. You can also purchase a humidifier, but I just stick with the flaxseed and lavender. Also make sure you have plenty of fresh water left out for you girl to hydrate. Hope I was helpful! XD

#4 ·
Awesome! Thank you so much. You were very helpful. The whole dry skin is so new to me, I was starting to panic over everything it could be. I'll have to hunt down some flaxseed oil and pray if it helps. :D I really hope I don't have to take her to the vet. She's such a huffy puffy girl right now I don't think the vet could touch her haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.