Hedgehog Central banner

Wheel Moving

Tags
wheel
3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  cwallace4runner 
#1 ·
I recently exchanged my silent spinner (SS) for a CSW after hearing horror stories about owners finding blood in their wheels from ripped claws.

I love the design and how quietly it spins but I'm having issues with it moving across the cage... I'm not sure if he's pushing it or if it's moving from the vibrations as he runs, but this causes it to start banging against the cage, which is just as noisy and disruptive as a squeaky wheel. I don't want to take it out or put the SS back in, but I just can't sleep at night with it doing this and I'm normally a heavy sleeper :(

I originally had it stood his litter tray to try and keep the wheel stable, but because the legs are so thick I can't weigh it down with litter like I was doing with the SS, so it rocks in the tray which causes the glass doors to rattle- also noisy...

Has anyone had a problem with their wheel shifting about at night and please tell me if you found a solution to secure it safely... I have bought a slip proof mat to put down under his finacard substrate, so I've got my fingers crossed that will stop the wheel shifting... but in case that fails, any advice would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
I don't have a CSW but had a similar problem with the wheel 'walking' when my hedgie used it. The wheel is in his litter tray but the litter tray is bigger than the width of the wheel so I wedged a rock on each side of the wheel (between the edge of the tray and outside of each wheel leg) and that keeps it from moving.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I, personally, use the flying saucer wheel. It's extremely quiet and I don't have an issue with 'walking'. It sounds weird, but I would personally tape it to the floor of the cage and put the bedding over it. The only problem/hassle would be that you would have to remove and replace the tape when you wanted to clean the cage and wheel.

#5 ·
Hey everyone! Thanks for the advice. Just an update: Last night after enduring 4 hours of being woken up on and off I did have to take the wheel out at 5.30am to get some sleep.

The yoga mat came this morning and I got to finish my hedgies set up; unfortunately the non slip didn't stop the glass rattling. I figured this was down to the runners not holding the glass tight enough. Obviously not a design flaw, especially as they're homes normally designed for reptiles, so they wouldnt have to worry about sound proofing for relatively sedentary creatures :lol:

Anyway, I got some help from my dad and cut up some thin strips of the yoga mat that was left over and fit them between the glass and the runner. Bit stiffer to open now, but it doesn't rattle when I push on the glass. So fingers crossed- hedgies wheel back in now, and only time will tell if I'll have a peaceful night :oops:

I'll be uploading new pics to my gallery of his new set up if anyone is interested to see :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.