Hedgehog Central banner

All Sorts

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Juls Ruls 
#1 ·
Ollie has been dropping quills for 2-3 weeks now. I read about seasonal or yearly quilling (I got him beggining of June, no seasonal quilling there). He's lost none to 16 at the moment, probably more this evening to come. He has also had really dry, flakey skin to the point where I can peel it off in small flat clumps with tweezers. There are also three red spots on his back, near each other that I just noticed today. I could gently pull the quill out from it there, but the other two have heads of some sort. Possibly pimples, ingrown quills, or sensitive one growing in. He isn't itchy at all. I don't think it's mites (no white moving things) or fungal. I got a baby brush from the store and it helps stir up his dry skin so I can rub it off him, and knocked a few quills loose. Any help would be great! He hasn't been huffier that usual, either.

#2 ·
Flaxseed oil (on food and him) isn't really working, and I tired rinsing him with oatmeal water from his bath. He's dropping another few. New quills are growing in fine as far as I can tell. Bulbs were only slightly yellow when I used the oil on him. New bulbs are white/clear-ish.

#3 ·
He only lost two as far as I can tell yesterday. I haven't been checking his sleeping area for quills in particular, but I found one this morning (who knows how long it was there). How long should a new quill take to grow in? Just curious, so I can keep track if we need to go to the vet.

#6 · (Edited)
Good to know! He has a few red, irritated spots under quills, and sometimes, if they're ready to come out, will just fall out when I pull them gently and the redness subsides over night. It doesn't seem to hurt him and looks better even when it's gone. New quills are coming in to replace the old ones, so I'm assuming he's healthy. Still flakey skin, but he's not itchy at all. I found multiple spots so I put ointment on them so they would clear up. No, I don't think it's mites but I'm working on getting him in for a check-up in October anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.