Hedgehog Central banner

Oh jeez!

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  nikki 
#1 ·
So the past few days it's been really cold. I have found Penelope 2 times under her fleece on the cold plastic and she would be freezing! We have a big heater and it's always really hot in there. I don't know what made her try to hibernate but I've done pretty much anything. So i've been keeping her with me and she hasn't had any problems.How long will it be before she doesn't try this again? i've adjusted the temperature and everything. is it okay if i get a heating pad and put it in there under some fleece for a short period of time? I don't want to try anything before asking. I do know you cannot use a heating pad to heat the air. I am making a vet appointment soon as well to get her checked out!:confused::confused:

#3 ·
It's a weird set up, we live in a little area & have a wood stove outside and a huge blower that blows Heat into our area. It is never below 75 in our room and in her cage. I do have a thermometer or whatever you wanna call it in her cage. I'm switching to a CHE for her soon because It will be summer soon and I don't want her to be cold. I'm thinking her going under the fleece is the problem because it is plastic and cold.

#5 ·
hmmm good idea. I'll have to figure that out once i get home. Poor baby, She's been riding around with me for a few days because I'm scared of her doing it again. Though today she's home with my boyfriend. My rats are probably hating the fluctuation as well. thank you!!

#6 ·
I feel your pain. Heated with a wood burner for years, and going to do it again shortly. In rooms that house temperature sensitive animals, we always used a space heater, and those that need more heat went with their lamps, pads etc.
Adding the insulation under the cage should help a lot. Without it, the cage is like a house with an open crawl space.

#7 ·
If the cage is at a proper temperature then sleeping on the plastic under the liner shouldn't cause them to attempt to hibernate. I'm guessing the cage is getting colder periods and that's why she's going under the liner, possibly a draft. A CHE will stop this from happening as it will keep the cage at a constant temperature. Even a change of a couple of degrees can cause a hibernation attempt.

#8 ·
Thank you so much guys! I found a store a few towns over that sells CHE bulbs! So I'm going to buy one of those and then get the rest of the stuff offline. She's been doing good. Checked on her this morning and she was snuggling under her fleece. I put a few layers of fleece down because she rather sleep under them than in her pink hut, she's super picky on everything. I put a neck pillow that i used to use in there as well. She loves that thing! She cuddles right in the middle and it's so cute. Sadly I have some rat situations going on so i'm unbelievably tired today. URI's are not fun :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.