Hedgehog Central banner

Cleaning pre-owned cage before hedgie use?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Sunflowerseeds 
#1 ·
So I am getting a pre-owned ferret nation cage today for Niblet. The previous owners said that they used it for their ferrets and to house 3 baby chicks for a few days at one time. They said they just wiped it down generally but didn't actually "clean" the cage.

I wanted to give it a good scrub before I brought it in the house for Niblet.

I usually use Ivory dish detergent and sometimes a vinegar/water mix to clean his current cage but would those be sufficient enough to clean this cage since it has been used by other animals??

I want to kill any potential germs and kooties. I have some of that Clorox any surface bleach cleaner----you know, the one they advertise as being safe to use even around children. Would that be ok to start with and then follow up with the other I mentioned previously?

#3 ·
Anything used with a ferret needs to be cleaned really well. When I decided to use our ferret nation for the hedgehogs instead of the ferrets, we totally dismantled it and put it in the bath tub and scrubbed it with a water/bleach/dish soap solution. Let it sit and soak for a few minutes, scrubbed again and rinsed well. Then we used a vinegar/water mix to rinse it again and then with hot water and air dry.

Ferrets smell and they also are oily animals that puts an oily residue on everything. It can also get down in all the little areas between the cage parts which is why I suggest taking it totally apart. :)

#4 ·
Well in that case...I will just wait until my engineer fiance gets home from work before doing anything with it. lol...that way he can take it apart and put it back together.
Haha...I know if I take it apart without any instructions on assembly that I will never get it back together. :oops:

#5 ·
I'm so glad I read this thread, I had no advice to offer but just moments ago I emailed a lady selling a ferret nation 142 on Craigslist for way underpriced, hopefully I will get that one and now I know what I need to do to clean it. I'll have to let my boyfriend dismantle it too, so that it gets put back together right afterward! :lol:

#6 ·
Sunflowerseeds said:
I'm so glad I read this thread, I had no advice to offer but just moments ago I emailed a lady selling a ferret nation 142 on Craigslist for way underpriced, hopefully I will get that one and now I know what I need to do to clean it. :lol:
How exciting!! That is where I got mine from too! I have been wanting a ferret nation 142 since we got Niblet but with the upcoming wedding, it just wasn't in our budget. So I decided that I would search ads for a used one underpriced for now and if I couldn't find one, then we would just take the plunge and purchase a new one after the wedding.

Well with a lot of luck, I found one!! They are supposed to deliver it today. :)
And we are saving over $200! yay!!

#7 ·
That is very exciting, almost like a pre-wedding present of luck! I'm still waiting to see if the lady will write me back or not, I asked her if anything was wrong with it, and if it had been cleaned at all, now I wait... That's awesome that they are delivering it to you also, I hadn't even thought yet of how I was going to get it here, but they aren't located too far away. I'm so happy for you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.