Lost one eye, about to lose the other. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2019, 03:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lost one eye, about to lose the other.

I've owned a hedgehog for just over a month-ish. Bought him from a co-worker who never spent any time with him, or even named him, in the year he had him. Socialization has been tricky. He doesn't trust people yet. But I bring him out every night to explore and get used to me.
A few weeks ago he scratched his eye somehow (probably because his nails weren't ever trimmed), and eventually lost it. Today I noticed he has scratched his other eye somehow and will probably lose it to. I know hedgies don't have good eyesight to begin with so I'm hoping he will adapt quickly as long as I don't change his setup around. I just hope this doesn't hinder our bonding further, because he does seem more skittish now. Any suggestions appreciated.
Kdlm05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2019, 04:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Put something like fleece strips in his hide that you have slept with, change weekly. Jeep at it don't stop. This will get him to know your scent, and should help with his bonding.

When you take him out put your hand in front of him so he can smell its you, and it should be easier. Then just sit with him on your lap/next to you rather than having him run around it will make him feel safe if he can't see.

Also talk to him get him used to your voice, will help so you can talk to him and he will know its you and help him.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2019, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Even with both eyes, hedgehogs have terrible eyesight, so if they go blind it really wont affect them too much, and it wont affect your bonding either. Hedgehogs mostly rely on their hearing and smell to navigate the world, so focus more on you getting your hedgie to get used to your voice and smell.
good luck !
calicloud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in