Found blind wild hedgehog - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Found blind wild hedgehog

Hello

I found a blind adult hedgehog. S/he sees absolutely nothing. We haven't yet examined it very well... but it is able to roll in a ball and seems to be starving... s/he ate a lot of wet catfood. We keep it in a catbox in the garage (it is not cold).
We live in a village in Spain and i am not sure whether there are any rescue centres to bring it to in the region... i will check. My husband is a vet and tomorrow we will take it to the clinic to do a full check up under anaesthesia. For the moment we gave subcutaneous enrofloxacin and tobrex drops in the eyes (in case its eyes could still be saved), and also a treatment for external parasites.
My question: what could have caused blindness? His eyes are opaque and swollen. Can a blind hedgehog be put back in the wild? I am concerned because even in a small space it seems to find it hard to find its food. Also it licks its mouth a lot.
Any advice on what to do with it in case it lives to see another day? Should i give it a bath? It is quite smelly. Greenish droppings.
Florianne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Is this an Algerian Hedgehog?
Matvei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

There are a lot of potential causes for blindness. Opaque makes me think cataracts, swollen makes me think tumor, eye infection, etc.

Hedgehogs already don't have great vision, so a blind hedgehog can still have a good life. However, I'm not sure that I would release a totally blind hedgehog. It would still be enough of an impact as to make it very likely the hedgehog would get injured or killed by something (predator, cars, etc.). You'd want to check your laws to see what the rules are about keeping wildlife captive. It's illegal in most places. If you're unable to keep the hedgehog, you may be able to find a wildlife rescue, nature center (if you have that type of thing), zoo, etc. that is able to legally keep it as an educational or exhibit animal.

Personally, if you can't find someplace to take the hedgehog & it's illegal for you guys to keep it, I would have it euthanized instead of releasing.

For now, I would make sure it has food & water at all times, and a hiding place in the box. I would not worry about a bath right now - hedgehogs typically do not like water and that would be even more stressful for him at the moment. Once you're able to examine him tomorrow & once you know what the longer-term plan is for him, we can help from there.

Oh, and the green droppings are normal - it's a symptom of stress, most of the time, and he's under a lot of stress.

Thank you for helping this little one, and let us know what you find out!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 04:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like he will need some more help to get back to the wild if it's possible at all (if he turns out to be completely blind). Glad you took him in, your best bet would be contacting a rescue centre for more information: http://www.erisos.org/nuestrosproyec...-recuperacion/
Even if there isn't one close to you, they might be able to help you and the hog because they will know the procedures in your country.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Last edited by Draenog; 05-22-2017 at 04:51 AM.
Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2017, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hellos

Thank you for your replies. I have just seen them because i thought i would recieve email alerts and i didn't check here. Anyways, the little hedgehog is still there, he is eating LOADS. Now he calmed donw a bit but at first i thought he'd burst. I think he is thin. Also he drags a hind leg when walking, not sure if it is just twisted or totally paralysed.
Thank you for sending the list of rehab centres. The closest one is in Barcelona, maybe i'll go check it oit forst to see if it is ok. I have once gone to a rehab centre around here to bring a sick animal and i ended up goong back home with it because they kept theirs in poor conditions.
Ideally i would like to release it where it was found, but it is quite urbanised and also people use a lot of pesticides on their gardens here to kill snails, i don't know if that could hurt him.
My plan is to keep it for a while till he gets fatter and finishes antibiotics (say 10 or 15 days), and meanwhile look for a good rehab centre. Alternatively we have a closed yard that he could live in here. I worry he'd get really bored though confined in a yard? He is a male (nothing to do with getting bored!)
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Now he make nice brown faeces. It seems we can see the shape of his bones under the quills. What food should i give him? I only gave him wet cat food for now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170522_141034_1495455353236.jpg (136.6 KB, 35 views)
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

He does look thin. He's an European hedgehog (erizo comun).
First thing is having him examined and treated by a vet, to see what's going on with his eyes and his leg. He might carry parasites - you can treat him with Stronghold kitten, 1 drop per 100 g hedgehog.
Wet cat food is fine, if you can get it you can give him Hills a/d canned food it's for sick and malnourished animals and helps them gain weight.

Many rescues (at least in Western Europe) rehome wild hedgehogs within enclosed gardens if they cannot go back to the wild. They need a house, a place to hibernate (if your area gets cold enough) and some cat food and water. But he needs proper treatment first.
Lilysmommy likes this.
Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2017, 08:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Here also you can see the shape of his body. From what you say i think i've ruled out just putting him back where he was found, with only three legs and no eye i don't think he'll get a fair chance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170522_141044_1495456339275.jpg (103.5 KB, 31 views)
Lilysmommy and Pixel101 like this.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you. Yes we have already treated him for external parasites, but we haven't wormed him. My husband is a vet and he has examined him, that is why he is under antibiotics, both injection and drops in his eyes (he said he has mycoplasma infection, and that may have caused arthritis in his leg). He thinks one eye may recuperate. The other one is destroyed. Many thanks.
Lilysmommy and Pixel101 like this.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

He's adorable! And so lucky to have found you and your husband. I'm glad to see the updates on him and that he's being treated.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in