Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - Cut Nails too short, blood
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
twobytwopets

There are a couple things you can do when your hedgie get a nail cut a bit too short.
This is pulled from this website. http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/resou...a/nailtrim.htm

No matter how careful you are, you will likely accidentally hit a nail quick and cause some bleeding at some point. Don't panic. Here are some things that will stop the bleeding:

a commercial product such as Kwik-Stop (a powder) or any styptic powder. These sting but are highly effective. Take a pinch of powder and press onto the tip of the affected nail after wiping away the blood.
cornstarch or flour can also be used in a similar manner
you can press the affected nail into a bar of mild soap
for minor problems, simply applying pressure to the tip of the nail may be effective
No matter which method you use, make sure the bleeding has stopped before placing the animal back in its cage, or leaving the animal unattended.
While nail trims sometimes seem very daunting, especially on a nervous and jumpy pet, doing nail trims is really not difficult and will become much easier if they are done regularly as part of your pets' maintenance.
for minor problems, simply applying pressure to the tip of the nail may be effective
No matter which method you use, make sure the bleeding has stopped before placing the animal back in its cage, or leaving the animal unattended.
While nail trims sometimes seem very daunting, especially on a nervous and jumpy pet, doing nail trims is really not difficult and will become much easier if they are done regularly as part of your pets' maintenance.

Syptic powder works great. So does corn starch. Soap, I wouldn't do that unless I had no other choice. With my larger birds that was a great method but for smaller ones it didn't alway work because their nails were so thin and there wasn't much to their feet. Hedgehog nails and feet are much smaller than any parrot nails I was trimming.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote