I’ll Love and Miss You Forever, Petey.... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2018, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I’ll Love and Miss You Forever, Petey....

I had to say goodbye to my best friend on December 27th...I had been syringe feeding him for 26 days every hour or so, he wouldn’t run anymore, lost weight, and with a clean xray (healthy heart and lungs) we had no other ideas how to help. The morning of he was doing so poorly, shaking when he walked, laying and walking aimlessly in his cage in the day time, having the hardest time breathing...
I took him to the vet and we decided his quality of life was too bad and I couldn’t watch him suffer. If I wouldn’t have put him down then, she said I would be back in a couple days to do so because he would not be getting better. I held him the entire time, and I almost decided not to be there, that another family member would have but after I picked him up and he wouldn’t let go of me, I stayed. It turns out he had abnormalities and a growth that wrapped around his spleen and nothing would have saved him. I would have given anything to save him and I wish more than anything that I could have. I even would have given him my spleen if it were possible.

Pete, you weren’t always the friendliest but you were in your own way. You were curious and sweet. You loved running on your wheel and I could always hear your little paws running at night. I’m going to miss that.
I know you weren’t fond of meeting new people, but everyone you did meet loved you so much...
I’m sorry you didn’t get to enjoy your Christmas present, it was a snuggle sack that I know you would’ve hated for a few months, but then realize it isn’t going to eat you.

I’m going to miss you more than words can explain, and I hope you get all the cilantro in the world. You loved it more than anything else.

I love you, my Petey, and I wish I could have taken what you had and given it to myself so you could still be here.

If there’s ever a world shortage of cilantro, Pete is out there somewhere eating it all.

Rest In Peace my sweet boy. I’ll love and miss you forever.

He was only 2 years and 10 months. I knew hedgehogs were extremely prone to this but I never would have expected it to happen to him.

I haven’t stopped crying since it happened and I miss him more than anything in the world. I miss taking care of him, I miss getting pooped on by him, I miss watching him explore. He was doing so good the past two days and then the next morning it was just devestation.

I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to get another one, I love them so much but I don’t want to watch this happen to one again.
I miss taking care of one but I think that’s just me missing my baby that will never come back.

At night I cry and wake up crying throughout. I miss hearing him drink water, his little paws running on his wheel, his food bowl tipping over that I would have to get up and fix. I miss hearing his heat lamp turn on and off. When I had to come home and unplug it, it felt like I just killed him twice.

I haven’t put his things away, I keep smelling his snuggle sacks because the smell of him makes me sad but feel better too.

I miss my baby so much and the selfish part in me makes me regret putting him down, but everyone tells me I did the right thing.

I feel so guilty, too, I wish he was still here and I wish there would have been something else I could have done. He was so young. I wasn’t ready for this and I wouldn’t ever have been ready for it.

I miss you so so much Pete, all I can do is just sit around and think of you and how much I miss you.

I hope you’re happier now and eating all the cilantro you can get your paws on. I miss you so much. I love you. I’ll always love you and miss you. I wish this didn’t happen, I’m so sorry. I’m so so sorry. It’s so empty without you. I’m so sorry.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have so many and not enough pictures of him, I miss him so much

Last edited by PricklyPete; 12-29-2018 at 07:42 PM.
PricklyPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2018, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Everything reminds me of you, I hope you’re doing okay buddy. I miss you so much. I know you weren’t fond of Gwen, but keep her company, please...

I love you.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm sorry that you also had to loose a little piece of your hart. I't is very difficult to see the little friend suffer, to see them change. I understand how you feel. My litttle girl was my lady. No one who did not have a little prickly friend will understand how they are apart of your life.

I still have 5 little prickly friends, but is doesn't fill the gap.

My hart is sore with you.
Denisek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2018, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denisek View Post
I'm sorry that you also had to loose a little piece of your hart. I't is very difficult to see the little friend suffer, to see them change. I understand how you feel. My litttle girl was my lady. No one who did not have a little prickly friend will understand how they are apart of your life.

I still have 5 little prickly friends, but is doesn't fill the gap.

My hart is sore with you.
Thank you 😞
I’m so very sorry for your loss too, it’s horrible.
I would give anything for our hedgies not to get this stuff, for them to live much much longer..it is so incredibly unfair for them. They’re too sweet to have to go through this.

It’s so empty without him here, I hate that he had to be taken away from me.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sam would always sit and watch when I had to feed Petey...I miss having to do that but I know you hated it since you got sick.

I hope you’re doing okay buddy, I miss you so much I haven’t stopped crying. You’re the best hedgehog in the world, and I miss you so much my heart hurts.

I shouldn’t have had to say goodbye to you this young. I’m so sorry. I hope you’re okay now and eating all the cilantro you can get your paws on. You’re probably so green from anointing it on yourself.
I love you my sweet boy. I love you so much.

I think about you all the time and I would give anything in the world for you to be with me, or me with you.

I love you. I wish I could visit you, and I wish you were here.
I love you and miss you.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

This is so heartbreaking, I am so sorry you had to go through this. I am so scared for the day I have to say goodbye to my baby.

Your photos are great, he looked like a lovely hog.

Sending love
Charliec125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you for sharing the photos of your absolutely adorable, Petey. The pain of your loss is so intense, but the two of you shared, and still share, a wonderful relationship. Petey will always be alive in your heart. Take the time to grieve and to heal...........your pain and your hurt are very real.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2019, 01:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you both for your kind words. I hope that you never have to experience this, and that you have all the time in the world and more with your little hedgies. They’re so precious. I’m very thankful I found this forum, it’s so helpful to be able to talk about him here.

Today marks 1 week since it happened and it still feels like just yesterday. I think that it always will feel like that.

He came to me after my spinal fusion for my scoliosis when I was 16. I was so excited to get healed enough to be able to go get my little boy. The breeder had two babies out, one that was very social and slender, definitely a runner, and my little baby.

He was shy but absolutely the sweetest thing, it never was a question if I wanted him or the other one. It was always him. He anointed on my sleeve when I met him for the first time, and the breeder thought his mouth was dry. He only bit me two or three times throughout our time together and that was only because I didn’t pay attention to his signs that he wanted back in his igloo.

I love and miss him with my entire heart and soul, and once his ashes are back I’m making a memorial out of my desk his cage sat on.

I got a few hedgie gifts for Christmas, one being a pillow, and I hug it all the time because it feels like my boy. Softer, but it feels like him. When I got it I couldn’t even look at it without crying because I was so scared I was going to lose him.

Every night and throughout the day I would check on him before I fed to make sure he was still here. It’s the worst feeling in the world to be scared to go check his cage to make sure he’s still with us.

When I took him to PetSmart, he was really interested in the conures and they were interested in him too. I would give anything for him to be here, I hate that he won’t be able to meet my conure, Neptune.

I have a feeling they would have been great friends. I’m going to tell him all about Pete, and hopefully Pete is somewhere out there listening while he’s chomping away on cilantro. I bet my boy is so green from anointing.

I love you and miss you, Petey, and I refuse to be in the new year without you, you’re always going to be with me. I talk to you and think about you all of the time. I hope you can hear, if it’s possible. I hate that this world took you away from me.

Happy New Year to the best, my Prickly Pete, my Petey, my cactus, my buddy. I hope you’re doing good and more than anything I hope you’re happy and healthy.
I love you and miss you, don’t ever forget that.

I switched him to fleece and off of wood shavings the second he got one stuck in his boy part. It was what the breeder had used and I bought a bag of it. When that bag arrived in the mail I did not realize it would be huge and past my waist in height.
shetland likes this.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Welcome home my sweet boy. I love you and miss you, Petey.
belties likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in