Got hedgie today...with what really looks like a broken leg! - Page 3 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #21 (permalink)

You deserve a medal for all you're doing for her! I thought her behavior was awesome too
DesireeM81 likes this.
Prickerz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 02:05 PM   #22 (permalink)

Default black toes?

Hi, I know this is going to sound a bit odd, but do you think that the black toes could possibly have been caused by frostbite? I am sure it never occurred to your vet that the jerk who had her before could have been putting her outside.
I just am wondering why she was having so much problem w/ her circulation.
-Susan H.
shmurciakova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #23 (permalink)

Updates please! How is she doing?
DesireeM81 likes this.
shmurciakova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 08:56 PM   #24 (permalink)

Default Update: hmmm she's getting there

Hi all,

So maybe you realized but I have just moved to my current house (and country actually). Because of this I am still in setting up mode and really all over the show, so sorry I haven't updated sooner. In some ways it's coz I feel a little guilty - you are all very complimentary about rescuing Kaya, which I didn't even know I needed to do until I got her home - poor thing. But due to our situation, she has been left to herself more than I would of liked. Maybe it's good for her, maybe it's not. We spend about 1/2 an hour with her out of the cage per day. In some ways I worry it's not enough time and in others I'm afraid that she will associate our scent with all the pain, poking and prodding that comes with trying to get her better.

Anyway last you heard her broken leg was taped (coz an operation was not advised due to her condition), she had an infection, her tail and every foot had circulation issues (also due to malnutrition).

She needed daily injections for the infection, where they also put a hormone/antibiotic/lots of other things (yes that's what the vet said) liquid on her toes, tail and stomach to clear up the scabby blackness.

The tape lasted one night and she needed to go back in and have a hard tape like a cast put on as the other one slipped. This cast will be on for 3 weeks (1&1/2 have passed). The daily injections have now been moved to 3 times a week. I think I understood there to be 10 in total, so one next week and that is done???

The blackish stuff on her feet has cleared more and more everyday, so being able to see that progress has been nice. Her tail however doesn't seem to improve much. There was a large scabbiness on her stomach (not blackish but more yellowy) and that has completely cleared up now.

Each day in the beginning she was doing better, less huffy, even at the vet's when she was getting poked and prodded. Everyone noticed it. And this is where I am getting the guilts from. In the last couple of days she was a bit grumpier than usual and her broken leg (which she was kinda walking on before and stuff) started to drag, she was even stepping on it with her back leg. I still found her out and about at night, but less so. Then we took her to the vet on Monday and just by chance, as the vet was handing her back to me, I noticed the big red sore at the top of her cast. So now I know why she was dragging her leg and being less active and more grumpy...she had a new sore and I missed it. Anyway the vet took her back in and hopefully fixed the issue as she still has a week and a half left in the cast.

We are able to move into the same room as her today (I write this from beside her cage). We will pick up a piece of furniture I am going to convert to her real cage on Sunday. I didn't expect her until the end of March and the guy her sold her to me told me she had a large cage, so I hadn't prepared anything for her. Luckily I live in Japan where I can buy C&C type stuff easily. So she has a makeshift cage, it's a 60cmx90cm and I will upload a pic.

Also we are now deciding what to do about her food. I was reading other's posts and need help finding a post, which I wrote a thread about before updating here. I dont think she eats enough yet and she is definitely fussy, she also looks as if she has not been hand feed, so will very rarely eat from anyone's hand. It will take some time to heal up I think but she is such a nice thing, so gentle and easy even now that I cant help think that when she is not in pain and sickly wow what a hedgie she will be. Crossing my fingers for that anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kayacage.jpg (339.7 KB, 42 views)
kieah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2015, 01:34 AM   #25 (permalink)

You are WAY to hard on yourself! You have done amazing things for your little one! Kaya is very lucky. As much as her sore sucks, you did see it and you did treat it. There was very little that could have been done to prevent it before hand.

Her cage looks good and I can't wait to see what you will do with her permanent one. Please upload pictures of both the cage and of Kaya once she is healed.

Oh and an half hour is a perfect amount of time on a daily basis. Longer is better but do what you can for her. You have already helped her and given her a far better life than she had before.

You are doing great.
Lilysmommy likes this.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #26 (permalink)

Default :-)

Thanks everyone!!!
Old 03-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #27 (permalink)

I would like to go punch that other owner in the face right about now. Thank God he had the decency to give it up to a loving new home. Your hedgie has a lovely face and seems to have an inquisitive nature! I wish you well with her as you both deserve to be happy together
phoenix1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #28 (permalink)

Thank you for the update and for everything you are doing for that sweet little one! You are her hero and guardian.
AngelaH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2015, 02:06 AM   #29 (permalink)

Default A little more fun update...

So I wrote the last update from our new lounge room. In the evening we let Kaya out to room the room - it's almost empty apart from cupboard, a desk and two chairs. So off she went roaming everywhere in the warmth. (Houses here aren't central heated - which is why we couldn't let her roam out of her cage much before that) Then we put her back in her cage - with the lid off so she could eat, drink and do her own thing with us nearby. Hubby put the lid back on as he went to bed. BUT he didn't actually check her apparently (I was already asleep).

So I wake up in the morning and go check on Kaya and he food levels...food hasn't really been eaten and wait...no Kaya!!! I quickly went downstairs to see if Hubby had taken her to the vet and she had needed to stay in for some reason. But no, she wasn't due for the vet that day nor had he found some reason she needed to go. We all rushed back upstairs and started looking for her. Luckily as we were heating the lounge room using the heater in the bedroom (the rooms kinda open in one big room or close with big sliding doors) we had the doors between rooms open but the doors to the hall closed.

After carefully lifting blankets and futons we found her in my blankets. Had to explain unless you know a Japanese futon, but it's a thin mattress on the floor and the blanket falls over the edge and she was snuggled up against the mattress under the blanket...her and a poo!

So what we don't know is whether she can escape from her cage if the lid is on or only if the lid is up??? Shouldn't be too much longer in this makeshift cage anyway, but we do need to be more careful. We are keeping the door to the hallway closed at all times just in case. Although she hasn't gotten out again yet. Also we have a bed in our bedroom now so she can't sneak in this time and accidentally be rolled on.

Oh also after the vet had her in to fix the issue with her cast rubbing on her leg she has started walking better and dragging her arm less, still does if she has been walking around a bit (that was why we put her back in her cage the other night). So Yay!
nikki and DesireeM81 like this.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:37 AM   #30 (permalink)

Talking Update: next video

Okay so here is another video of Kaya.

It's long...and we are happy. She ate 6 meal worms out of our hands - first time!!! So yeah six may be a little too many, but she is not eating well at the moment.

The food she had from the vet was too high in fat (other stuff okay..ish) and she liked that. But we have finished that sample lot.

The food she had from the last owner (hedgehog food) was completely crap nutritionally...and she will eat that. Currently we mix it with the good food below.

Which is the food we got, cat food that is pretty good nutritionally, BUT does have corn in it, she hates it and will barely eat.

Vet said earthworms are better than meal worms nutritionally but we cant get her to eat them.

She wont eat fruit or vege at all so far.

So yeah 6 meal worms it is. Everything is looking better, even though bits are dropping off left, right and centre.

But yeah take a look, it's almost 5 mins long, and see what you think. She is so calm and curious...love!

https://vid.me/wwEw
DesireeM81 and _Devon like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in