Ingrown toenails I think... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DesertHedgehogs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Ingrown toenails I think...

I bought my first pair of hedgehogs yesterday. They have already had 1 litter together and the lady said Priscilla could be due at anytime for a second litter. I need to take her and Phillip to the vet because their feet are swollen and have scabs, some toenails are black&green, while others have scabs in their place, so I think the nail is ripped out or ingrown. I am very concerned and want them treated before the next litter arrives. Does anyone know the price range I should be looking at? And if anyone has had this problem, what was the outcome?

Thanks
Madawinter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Every vet is different, but it sounds like there could be a serious infection so they definitely need to go. Call your vet and ask for a quote when you make an appointment.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Agreed with Abbys, it's hard to give any kind of estimate since it can vary so widely. As far as treatment, I would guess you'll end up getting at least antibiotics, maybe an anti-inflammatory too. Plus the cost of the appointment. Hopefully the feet aren't so bad that antibiotics can't take care of it.

You may want to see if any of the breeders have advice/opinions on what to do if the babies arrive while you're still doing medication/treatment on mom. Personally (and as far as I've seen breeders say on here, but I don't want to assume their answers in this case), mom's health is most important, so it'd probably be best to keep treating her even if the babies come. But I'm not a breeder and don't plan to be, so like I said, get some answers from our experienced breeders - they'd have the best advice.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mom's health is the most important. If you end up having to do antibiotics or some other medication, I can't say whether or not that would affect the babies negatively, that's a question for your vet, but taking mom out 1 to 2 times a day could result in killing the litter. However if you don't treat an infection she could lose the foot, the leg, her life, she can have other litters, the foot... much more important.
Lilysmommy likes this.
DesertHedgehogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok thank you all . Hopefully I can get her on the right track by the time the babies arrive!
Madawinter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wow - I am SHOCKED that anyone would sell or breed poor hedgies in this condition. I have to warn you that there is a very low chance of Priscilla thriving as a mother right now, if she is even carrying any babies at this point. She is very lucky to have gotten into hands that will make her the number one priority! It sounds like she will need antibiotics and you will need to help her keep her feet clean, I would ask your vet about supplying her with a wheel at this time.
Have you gotten them to the vet yet?
Sadly if babies do come you are going to have to force yourself to put mom first and continue treatment. Typical advice is to leave mom and babies alone other than food and water changes for two weeks, and not clean the cage until babies are weaned. This could be incredibly dangerous for a little one fighting off infection like it sounds like your mom will be doing.
Also, are mom and dad separated?
-Anatole France
SpikeMoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
hedgehog concerns, hedgehog health, hedgehog rescue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in