Not Running But Behaving Normally Otherwise - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2020, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Not Running But Behaving Normally Otherwise

Hi everyone! My little man, Spike, hasn't run on his wheel in the last three nights. He's eating normally, he's drinking water, and his poop looks normal. I can tell he's not running because for one, his wheel is spotless. Two, he's normally up and running long before I fall asleep, and that hasn't been the case lately. The one thing I know for sure is that he's probably a bit stressed out because he had to deal with a three day/two night (in hotels where he ran on his wheel and everything like normal) drive last week because I am helping my parents move for the next month and didn't have anyone who could watch him. I have noticed his back legs giving out on him a couple times over the last few days. That mostly happens when he walks through bedding, but I've seen it happen two times without bedding. We just cut his back nails yesterday, so I know that's not the issue.

I think that's everything. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Is it just stress? Should I find an exotics vet around here immediately? Any and all help would be incredibly appreciated, I just want him to be okay. Here's a google drive link with a video of him walking. His legs didn't give out in this video.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cf3...ew?usp=sharing

PS: Age is a question mark for Spike. I got him from a family that couldn't take care of him anymore and they said he was maybe 2.5 or 3. So now, he might fall between 4 and 4.5. All maybe's.
Vallyrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2020, 11:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

First, let me say what a cutie Spike is! I do not have a whole lot of experience, so please take my comment with a grain of salt! I adopted my first hedgehog Macy in 2016. She was 1.5 years old. I only had her for 2 years until she, unfortunately, got cancer and I had to put her down. In June 2019 I adopted my current hedgehog Libby. So, I only have about 3 years of experience. With Macy, however, I learned a lot.

I feel like I would continue to observe Spike for a few days. I would weigh him each day as well and record it. If you notice him LOSING weight, that would be a sign you may want to see a vet.

With Macy, however, the first thing I noticed was that she stopped going on her wheel. I was concerned and in the end, it ended up being a big warning sign for her. She'd eat and drink, walk around a little, but sleep much more than usual. Then she began to lose weight. Finally, I noticed a small growth in the inside corner of her eye which grew quickly and the vet was afraid to operate and remove her eye because she felt the tumor was already too deep and near her brain. It all progressed so unbelievably fast. Within two months it all happened. Beginning with the wheel, and then the last 3 weeks was the tumor which grew extremely quickly.

If Spike isn't back on his wheel after another 4-5 days I'd start to get a little concerned and would consider bringing him to a vet (unless of course someone on the forums here has better advice!) He very well could be adjusting to the trip he just took, so I wouldn't be too concerned yet. Definitely monitor his weight though.

A temperature change may affect him as well if it's too hot. Sometimes hedgie's will get clumsy if they are overheated.

If you decide to go to a vet, I'd recommend bringing a recent stool sample with you in a bag. That was some advice I was given about Macy to prepare and when the vet asked during our first appointment she was able to use that sample and get results that same day.

With Macy, I had called different vet offices and shared what I had noticed and asked their opinions just over the phone to see. At that same time scheduled an appointment for a few days later so I could observe her and if I needed to cancel the appointment I could.

I am definitely not saying Spike like my little Macy!! Just follow your gut <3 I also wouldn't think it was age because just three days ago he was happily on his wheel. But, I could easily be wrong! I am not an expert. I just know that when Macy stopped running on her wheel, it was always for a reason. Mites, temperature, or me not realizing the wheel was touching the top of the cage one day after cleaning and it wouldn't spin ��

Please keep us updated on little Spike! �� Best of luck.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi everyone, I tried to delete this post but I guess posts can only be deleted by admins. I took Spike to a vet later that day, and they found a mass near his rib cage. He passed away in his sleep last night. I wish I had a better update to give. Thank you<3
Vallyrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
leg, stress, wheel behavior change

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in