Swollen Toe - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2020, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Swollen Toe

Once I caught Reggie sleeping on her right side with her two left legs sticking up in the air at a 45 degree angle. As soon as I lifted up the blanket she immediately curled up, embarrassed. What a weirdo. So last night when I saw she had a leg up I thought it was just silly! But after I took the pic I zoomed in and it looks like her toe is swollen. I give her a foot bath most nights but didn't last night, so I put a bit of salt in the water and gave her a foot bath. After a normal amount of struggle she let me grab her foot and I was able to clip the nail. There was some poop under there too but not much. It didn't seem like my manhandling hurt her but who knows. She barely used her wheel last night.

The exotic vet isn't in until Tuesday so I just have to keep an eye on it until then. Anyone seen anything similar? I wonder if it looks bad because I'm bad at trimming her nails and the quicks are a bit long, or if maybe some blood pooled under the nail from when I hit the quick before.

I read that epsom salts are good for a soak but didn't have any, so I used Maldon salt, which is just a flaky salt with no added extras like iodine. Is that ok? Sometimes she drinks the bath water so I don't want her to get too much salt in her diet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200223_193701.jpg (218.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200317_232420.jpg (209.9 KB, 14 views)
isitafireorisit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2020, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Here's a closeup of the toe.
Attached Images
File Type: png TOE.PNG (536.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-24-2020, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Update! I didn't end up taking Reg to the vet. I realised the next day that the reason she didn't use her wheel that night was probably because I cut her nail to the quick (sorry wee one!). I've been monitoring her feet pretty closely and they look fine now. I cancelled the vet appointment because I'm not feeling well and think it's best to stay home.

Easiest way to look at her feet I find is to hold her up and let the feet dangle down. That way I can inspect them from all angles and she's not struggling to get away because I'm trying to grab her feet.

Tags
foot bath, nails, swollen, toe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in