Dragging back legs and bitting his feet - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2020, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dragging back legs and bitting his feet

My hedgehogs back legs started to drag within a week and when I woke up today he chewed his feet and toenails up. I took him to the vet to get all his medicine (antibiotics, pain reliever, etc) and then i bandaged his legs to keep him from biting them even more, but when he moves his legs they bend in odd ways. Should I be concerned in which way they bend just in case it damages them or no? The vet didn’t know what was wrong with him either. If any questions I will answer them about my hedgehog

Last edited by brookewaller22; 01-11-2020 at 07:29 PM.
brookewaller22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2020, 01:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hello, and I am sorry this is happening to your hedgehog. Sounds dreadful
You should definitely be taking your hedgehog to a different (hedgehog-experienced) vet because what you are describing is not normal. The self-mutilation could be from stress or even WHS....In dogs, I know that biting at feet is typically a sign of infection or irritation.
My only point is that when legs are bending at odd angles and a hedgehog is self-mutilating further testing should definitely be completed.

Good luck, and please update.

Prudence's Proud Mum Since February 2016

I share my home with one, big, slobbery dog, a ragdoll, a blind domestic shorthair, a slinky tabby, one crowntail betta, a double tail halfmoon betta, and our latest quilled addition... Prudence!
Prue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2020, 06:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Agreed with the top post. A different vet is definitely needed.
Brooke2Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Agreed
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

I agree about taking him to another vet ASAP! Unfortunately you’ll probably have to find one that treats “exotics”. I’m so sorry this is happening to your little man and I hope you get it figured out and he get more comfortable soon.
OhManner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just want to understand... the vet said he didn't know what was wrong with him, but prescribed antibiotics anyway?? That in itself is incredible.

If you can't find a local vet with hedgehog experience, check with the nearest veterinary school. They sometimes treat animals for little or no cost, and have a wealth of information to draw on. Good luck to you and your little companion.
Kfidei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Agree with the above posts on the need for an exotics vet that has more experience with hedgehogs.

But I do respectfully disagree with the above quote about not giving antibiotics- if there are open wounds, especially created by biting, then an antibiotic is necessary to prevent infections even if they're covered.

I had a semi-similar situation where my hedgehog had been self-mutilating her front arm due to nerve damage from a tumor removal. After almost 3 months it's finally healed, but remains covered because she will still bite at it if it's uncovered. If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me.
lnb121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in