Paolo's Swollen Foot - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Emc

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2019, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Paolo's Swollen Foot

Greetings Everyone!

I am a hedgehog pet owner. Paolo is 6 or 7 months old. Since i share a big room with other girls in a boarding room/ house. And i only have small cage i decided to put Paolo in our room so he can run freely which works well for him. He normally comes out at night. I haven't seen him for 2 weeks but i know his eating well and drinking well. Last night when i was cleaning the room i saw him came out and i decided to put him on his cage so i can give him bath. I noticed my hedgehog's feet started to look swollen. At first I thought it was dirt, so I gave him a bath. I watched him run around in the little bit of water, but nothing was coming off and i notice that its been cut due to hairs being get stocked around his foot. I am in the position that going to vet is very expensive for me and not accessible as of the moment. I am trying to see if there's a possible medication you can recommend that i can apply for Paolo's home medication. I would appreciate any advice.

I have attached a picture of Paolo's foot for reference.

https://imgur.com/YtVyGG7
https://imgur.com/d4y84tV

Best Regards!
Jenn
Yosaging is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Emc

His feet look very, very sore. I'm afraid the only way of getting him the help he needs would be through a vet. Many vets will be willing to work with clients on prices through payment plans, so you wont have to pay everything in one go. I know this may not be what you want to hear, but if that's still not an option for you, I personally would advise surrendering him to someone/rescue that will give him the veterinary care that he requires. He must be in a lot of discomfort walking, and his feet look mangled. I'm not sure why his fur is orange, either?

Letting him run around and have some exercise is great - but going two weeks without checking him is not. Hairs commonly get caught around little hedgie toes & limbs, and they can literally cut off the circulation to the foot and cause it to rot - some of Paolos foot looks dark, and I'd be incredibly concerned about the tissue being dead from the circulation being cut for so long. This is incredibly dangerous, and can cause septicaemia - it could very easily lead to a very painful death & sepsis if he does not get the veterinary treatment that he needs. His feet are beyond what a home remedy could fix. This isnt something that can just be wrapped in a bandage until it heals.
nikki, Askeptosaurus and Yosaging like this.

Last edited by Emc; 10-21-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emc View Post
His feet look very, very sore. I'm afraid the only way of getting him the help he needs would be through a vet. Many vets will be willing to work with clients on prices through payment plans, so you wont have to pay everything in one go. I know this may not be what you want to hear, but if that's still not an option for you, I personally would advise surrendering him to someone/rescue that will give him the veterinary care that he requires. He must be in a lot of discomfort walking, and his feet look mangled. I'm not sure why his fur is orange, either?

Letting him run around and have some exercise is great - but going two weeks without checking him is not. Hairs commonly get caught around little hedgie toes & limbs, and they can literally cut off the circulation to the foot and cause it to rot - some of Paolos foot looks dark, and I'd be incredibly concerned about the tissue being dead from the circulation being cut for so long. This is incredibly dangerous, and can cause septicaemia - it could very easily lead to a very painful death & sepsis if he does not get the veterinary treatment that he needs. His feet are beyond what a home remedy could fix. This isnt something that can just be wrapped in a bandage until it heals.

I will walk later after work to check for some inexpensive VET clinic. I hope i can find one with respective offer. Earlier today i was planning to apply some beta dine on his wounds but decided to check some forums or the web to help me out for the meantime. I feel so sad about Paolo's condition right now.

His foot is really swelling. I believe his toes were hurt because of the hairs around it. He normally gets orange fur ( pee pee ) when he stay in his cage he would just like to stay inside his dark room. But i use to bring him to beach whenever i have beach training.

https://imgur.com/tpWXo9y.

Thank you so much for getting back to me.
Yosaging is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cannot walk, foot, hedgehog, sick hedegehog, swollen foot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in