Cut on foot - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2019, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ria

Default Cut on foot

For the last week Holly has has had this really small cut - I think from her wheel because its second hand and had a sharp edge and the tape must have come off and she's cut it.

I re tapped it so it cant hurt her again
The cut seems to keep re opening. I can't really take her wheel away because then she won't be active and she outs weight on fast, plus she wont poo without it and I dont want that.

I've put some vaseline on it. But is there anything I can do to help it without taking the wheel out?
My house is now too cold for her to run around and my family refuse to put the heating on and my room cant be used atm for her to run around like normal.

If I really have to I will take out the wheel -I am cleaning the foot daily and making sure there is no sign of infection ect. But Its not easy to just take the wheel out when it could cause problems with her going to the toilet.

I've not gone to the vet because I know they wont actually do anything - Been once when she was a baby and got a cut on her foot from I still dont know what and they said there is nothing they can do and I just need to keep an eye on it.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 03:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Maybe just take the wheel out for one night, then put it back in. I had the same issue with Igor once, and I took the wheel out once, put it back in the next night, and the wound on his foot started healing. Maybe it just needed that kick start of rest to heal up nicely. One night of not going to the bathroom can’t do that much damage. (I think)
But wait for someone else’s opinion on this since I’m not 100% sure on what to do.
Brooke2Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2019, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

There isn't much you can do to treat feet. Small cuts is one of those few times where it is acceptable to monitor to make sure there is no swelling or redness/infection setting in. And spot clean their wheel when you can to try to keep it clean.

Tiny cuts on their feet happen sometimes with diggers or those that are very active runners. They often take a little longer to heal because of it.

I'm not a fan of using Vaseline. Just keeping the foot clean should be enough. The concern I have with adding Vaseline is that it could keep the wound moist and trap bacteria inside. If you really want to use something, get a triple antibiotic ointment that has NO pain relief (pain relief is reported to be harmful). Use the tiniest little dab. Even with that, I would limit it to once a day for a day or two and only on the smallest of cuts. Again the concern is that with larger wounds or long term it could trap bacteria and cause more harm than it helps.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 10:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

The vaseline was put on over the scab to give it a little more protection and only a VERRYY tiny amount as it's all I had.
And wanted to try protect the scab that was there - and vet suggested it last time but it wasnt needed.

She's not an overally active runner and itsnt really much of a digger. Its not on the pad of the foot its further up more like the ankle.

I'm keeping close eye on it, and she isn't very protective of it I can touch it without her caring - Which I believe is good because if it was worse I would imagine she would be protective of the foot (I was told that generally happens)

I'll keep making sure its clean my concern is that even though its still very small and and I'm keeping it clean, and her wheel, she hasnt been making as much mess or getting her foot as covered in poo since the cut which makes my life easier!
Old 10-01-2019, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ria

When I've checked it just now because of getting her out, it seems to have healed and be pretty faint, a lot better looking than yesterday which is good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in