Hedgehog limping - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog limping

My hedgehog was limping when I found her yesterday morning. There were spots of blood around her cage. I freaked out and made an appointment with the vet which, the earliest, was today. She didn't seem to want to put her paw down and when she did, it was shaking as if it hurts to move it. I kept an eye on her the entire day. She ate worms when I placed some by her. I heard her waking up every so often so I'm sure she was very uncomfortable.

Took the wheel out of the cage to keep her from running. This morning there wasn't any new blood spots around which made me feel relieved. She also seemed to move like her typical self. Gave her a quick foot bath and afterwards, packed her with an ice pack and headed to the vet. Vet said she appears fine but is more careful with that one paw. He thinks it may be soft tissue damage. We didn't want to put her under for an xray because the last time it was attempted, she had heart arrhythmia and they had to wake her up immediately. Vet prescribed metacam, 2 units, once a day with food for five days. He also recommended I brush her teeth. I forgot to ask about side effects of metacam. Since I'm very skeptical of the vets in this practice, does this seem about right to you all? The last vet here kept pushing me to use mazuri...

TIA. O she was also super pissed about traveling to the vet and being at the vet, she turned her nose to worms!!
pekkle99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not sure but it seems like this vet might just want your money... I could be 100% wrong, but if she just got a scratch then it should heal up on its own right?... I don't know. If you are really worried about it, I would consider getting a second opinion. Hope it all clears up!!!
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I’ve not heard of any major side effects with metacam (meloxicam) given the hedgehog has the correct dosage. As a non-steroidal anti inflammatory drug, it’s commonly used in treating minor damages, and if your vet is familiar enough with it and with hedgehog sizing/metabolism, you shouldn’t be too concerned about the effects. Me personally, I would write the meds off as a precaution rather than an unnecessary addition.
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. I gave her the medicine last night and she liked it. Not sure if it's related but I found a few quills around her cage. While her skin is on the dry side, does metacam affect the skin?
pekkle99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in