My hedgehog is limping on his right & I need help in identifying what is wrong &#x1f6 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My hedgehog is limping on his right & I need help in identifying what is wrong &#x1f6

Norbie has always been a curious & active hedgie. Just 4 days ago, we noticed that he curled up his right front paw as he stood still which was a bit odd. In the following few days, he stopped running on his wheel (the activity in which he loves to do most) & his appetite decreased. Today, we discovered that he was dragging his right back leg as he walks while curling his rihjt front paw... however upon touching his front & hind legs, he was able to flinch. Norbie is an albino hedgie around 1 year old. What could possibly be the reason for his sudden limp and change in behaviour? p/s: we stay near the Equator & there is no change in season... the temperature is about 28 deg to 32 deg daily. I have attached a photo of him having his front & back legs positioned in an awkward manner. Normally he will not be sitting like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3DED853E-83E6-4333-96C8-2B3A8CF3F56C_1529499723955.jpg (92.5 KB, 19 views)
Norbiebean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

You need to take him into the vet asap. It's hard to say what it could be until you get an accurate analysis.
nikki likes this.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Update: We brought him to a vet & was prescribed Meloxicam & Neurobion. The vet could not give us a definite diagnosis as of now. We will monitor him closely the next few days. He could take the Neurobion well via syringe but does not really accept the Meloxicam which we had sprinkled on his food. Any tips on how to deal with my picky little eater? I really hope he gets well soon :’(

Old 06-25-2018, 06:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Update: Managed to capture how his front leg looks like. He does take his Meloxicam suspension pretty well since it is a syrup fed via syringe but he is not receptive to the Neurobion at all. We have tried crushing the tablet & mixing it into his food, adding it to his water & even tried feeding it to him via syringe (which he promptly spat out)... Dear community, should I seek another vet for a second opinion? From the picture, do you guys think that it is a fracture that needs splinting or just swelling from a sprain?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B85E13E2-C0AB-4BFE-973C-EEB9DA541A67_1529922934436.jpeg (766.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 06-25-2018, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Poor little guy what will does he have? Could he have hurt his foot on it, got it caught or something?

Did the vet do an xray? Or suggest to do one if it doesn't improve?

What is the neurobion for? Could you crush it and feed mixed in his favourite treat if he has one, like a piece of chicken or in/on an insect? Did you already try mixed in with his food via a syringe? This would be the best way to insure he gets the full dose if it is a requirement.

Hope he recovers soon ♡
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

How long did the doctor prescribe the medication for? I would wait and see for any changes until the given time for the meds are over, then go with a follow-up and see what the vet says.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Neorobion is a vitamin medication. The meloxicam is a pain med. If the vet hasn't done an x-ray I would request one be done. Without an x-ray there is no way to say if it's a fracture or a sprain. The meloxicam should have helped with the pain etc if it was a sprain. Has there been any improvement at all?
Yukidama's mama likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2018, 04:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks all! We managed to get him to take the crushed tablet by sprinkling it on his favourite superworms. The swelling seems to have went down but it still looks bent. He still struggles to get up from a lying position and walks with a limp. He seems to be aware of his own injured limb and will position it carefully before he sleeps and licks himself better. He has been sleeping a lot, I wonder if the medications are drowsy. His bowels are working fine which is a great relief. We are given a week's worth of medication and he is scheduled to see another vet on coming Thursday! The previous vet did not want to do an x-ray as Norbie is very fidgety and to conduct the x-ray, the vet says that she has to sedate him which she does not recommend. Hope to receive good news to share with you guys 🙂 I have enclosed recent pictures of him below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180702_234229_1530605155228.jpg (111.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20180702-WA0005_1530605190200.jpg (142.6 KB, 16 views)
Yukidama's mama likes this.

Last edited by Norbiebean; 07-03-2018 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Update:
Old 07-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

I would really push for an x-ray even if they have to sedate him. It's the only way you're going to know for sure what's wrong. If it's broken and heals incorrectly it could leave him disabled for the rest of his life. The fact that he's being careful with it just shows how painful it is for him.
SquirtleSquirt likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2018, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

X-ray update: Hi experts, can anyone analyse & explain Norbie's xrays to me? This is a second opinion I sought & my new vet gave me a complete different diagnosis. I was told Norbie either has a degenerative bone disease or is suffering from cancer, & an amputation of his injured limb has to be done asap. My previous vet diagnosed his injury as a sprain with a possible risk of fracture. I feel really lost & afraid. As Norbie is a rescue, we do not know his exact age. He only weighs 200g & the surgery is considered pretty high risk & invasive. Please help!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in