Not Eating & Green Vomit - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Not Eating & Green Vomit

A couple weeks ago I noticed a bulge on one side of our hedgehog, Percy's, jaw. On closer examination I could see that his lower jaw is actually mis-aligned now, pulling to the left. We took him to the vet and they said it's either an abscess tooth or jaw cancer. The vet can't determine which and can't remove the suspect tooth because Percy's jaw has deteriorated in that area and it would cause more damage to remove it than leave it. He started Percy on a 10 day course of antibiotics (which we finished Sunday) and an anti-inflamatory, which I'm still giving him. At our check up Saturday the vet said Percy was the same weight and the swelling was down significantly, though his jaw will now always be misaligned thanks to scar tissue & jaw deterioration. During those 10 days Percy was eating and drinking like normal (I've been putting water on his dry food so it's soft for him) and running in his wheel every night.

All of that changed yesterday. Percy didn't eat Sunday night and he didn't eat Monday night either. I didn't hear him running in his wheel either. Today I tried syringe feeding him a tiny bit of rescue hedgie food (a recipe I got from a member of this forum years ago), but he threw up a few minutes later. The vomit was bright green, which I'm assuming was mostly stomach bile.

He's listless, body temp feels a bit chill despite the heating pad I keep beneath his cage. I'm super, super worried but I know from past experience the emergency vet near us is USELESS when it comes to hedgehogs. I'm afraid we're going to lose him tonight.

Any advice? Is there anything I can give him that might help? A pure liquid like chicken broth or pedialyte or something? I don't know if he's listless because he hasn't eaten or if it's his time. He's 4 and that's the age we lost our previous seven hedgehogs around.

I appreciate any advice and prayers. There are a lot of tears in our house tonight.

Last edited by tapestry; 02-10-2015 at 10:18 PM.
tapestry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2015, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't have advice. But I wanted to let you know I'm hoping for Percy.

If he's chill, warm him up with your body heat. I'm not sure if syringing will work if he's vomiting.
phoenixjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 11:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Phoenixjay, I appreciate the good thoughts.

Percy drank a bit of water a few minutes ago and his body temp is better. I had him in his hedgie sack and he was scritching around and exploring as he usually does. That made me feel a bit better. Maybe his listlessness and lower body temp were an aborted hibernation attempt. The not eating and vomiting still concern me though.

I'm really hoping someone can recommend a liquid I can give him a tiny bowl of. Like broth. Percy is a weird hedgie, he hates mealies, crickets and any sort of human food (over the years, I've tried ALL the ones you're allowed to give a hedgie). The absolute only thing he'll ever eat is his cat kibble.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It's not a good idea to feed animals when they're cold - their body isn't working correctly due to not being warm enough, and if you add food into their stomach, all heat/energy automatically goes to digesting, which makes their overall situation worse. The first thing to do is always warm them up first.

Is there any way you can heat his entire cage to a warm temperature? Heating pads are okay for supplemental heat, but they're not ideal for keeping the whole cage warm. And if he was cool, he's not staying warm enough. A space heater or CHE would be a good idea to keep the cage to 75* or so (warmer if he needs it).

Now that he's warm, try syringe-feeding him again. There's more advice on doing so here if you need it - https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...ng-sticky.html

I'd give your vet a call to let him know about the not eating & vomiting, just to get his opinion on it. It could've been due to a hibernation attempt, but with Percy's other problems, it'd be a good idea to check.

Good luck and let us know how he's doing!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2015, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice Lilysmommy, your link to the syringe feeding sticky was EXACTLY what I needed.

Percy is doing a little better this morning. We've been syringe feeding him a few cc's of watered down Science Diet AD every couple hours and he's perked up and seems to like it. He hasn't thrown up since last night. Our hedgie vet doesn't work on Wednesdays so we have an appointment for first thing tomorrow morning.
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Percy is backsliding again. My mom was feeding him during the day and she was giving him approximately 1cc every few hours, not more as I'd assumed. He's not happy about being fed and turns his head away. He seems listless again, just lies by his water dish mostly and drinks fairly frequently. But what has me really worried is that he's had one bowel movement since we began syringe feeding him and it is like bloody jelly - dark red and super sticky. I shoved it in a plastic baggie to take to the vet tomorrow.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Percy's vet visit was so-so this morning. He's lost more weight, 10% of his body weight since he was weighed at the vet on Saturday. They took an x-ray and there are no obvious masses or lumps but vet confirmed that there is blood in Percy's stool. Percy also appears to have a prolapse and part of his anus is sticking out and bloody looking. Vet recommended I put KY jelly on it tonight and gently massage to see if we can coax it back inside. Also recommended we continue to syringe feed Percy and give him a bit longer to see if he responds.

Overall, however, vet said things really aren't looking good right now. He suspects cancer but can't confirm. Percy is still responsive & moving around however, so the vet doesn't feel like we need to have Percy put to sleep just yet. There's still hope even if it's tiny.

I'm going to try giving Percy some vanilla Boost Plus tonight as well as various watered down baby foods to see if I can find something, anything he might be tempted to eat and if we can get his weight back up.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm sorry he's having more issues. I'm a bit surprised the vet didn't try to do something about the rectal prolapse himself...but I hope you can get it reversed. Good luck and keep us updated.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks Lilysmommy. I am really struggling. I don't want to give up on Percy too soon but I also don't want to make him suffer unnecessarily. That's the hardest part when hedgies get really sick (in my experience) - know when to keep fighting and when to let go.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Percy is still hanging in there. He made up some of the weight he lost. I haven't been syringe feeding him for over a week and a half now. I feed him twice a day - watered down kibble and a bowl of Vanilla Boost Plus.

I think it's definitely cancer in his jaw and not an abscess. His lower jaw is more shifted to the left than it use to be, likely from bone deterioration. It breaks my heart. He doesn't run in his wheel anymore. However, he still eats and drinks on his own and he runs around and is good-tempered when I take him out to play each evening.

I don't want him to be in pain, but I don't want to give up too soon and miss a day with him. Is there any way I can tell if he's in pain? I'd assume he'd be more huffy than normal if he was. I also assume when it's time to let him go he'll stop eating and scampering about.

I'd appreciate any advice from owners who've had similar issues with their hedgies. Thanks for the previous advice, the Boost REALLY helped.

Tags
cancer, jaw, not eating, vomit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in