Not Eating & Green Vomit - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2015, 04:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

I am very sorry you are going through this and I can only guess as to what is going on with Percy, but I had a hedgehog with an oral tumor who I had to put down the first day that you posted about your hedgie. You can read about her story here under health. It was titled "Help, I'm scared.". In any case, I think you know in your heart that the time is approaching when you should help Percy. If his jaw is dislocated and there is bone loss he is likely in pain. It is odd that the swelling went down temporarily when he was on anti-inflammatories before though.

I hope that you are still giving him some anti-inflammatory meds and pain medication. I cannot tell you when the right time to take him in would be, but you have to think if you are doing what is in Percy's best interest at this time. My Sola was running in her wheel and eating but she was definitely more lethargic. Her tumor had caused bone loss and it had grown by about 70% since I first noticed it. All told I kept her quality of life decent for a month. It was a horrible decision to be faced with, but in the end you have to do what is right for Percy and you already know it is not going to get any better, it will only get worse.
You want to give him some dignity and not wait until he is in terrible condition.

I wish you strength during this difficult time. I hope that your mother or a friend can go along and comfort you. Once again, I am sorry you have to go through this. It really is the worst thing we have to face as hedgie parents - but it is the only humane thing that you can do.

Much love,
Susan H.

Last edited by shmurciakova; 02-26-2015 at 04:11 PM.
shmurciakova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thank you for replying Susan and for your good wishes. I will go read your post about Sola and I am so sorry you lost her.

Percy is on an anti-inflammatory right now. He was off it for a while, but a few days ago I noticed the swelling was back and started him back on it. I'm going to take him to the vet in the next few days and have the vet assess how Percy is doing and if he's in pain.
tapestry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 07:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

That sounds like a good plan. Did his prolapse get better? Also, I was curious, where are you located. I re-read your post and I see that this is not your first hedgehog. Have you dealt with an oral mass before? This was the first time for me, although I understand it is sadly very common. The thing that is a little confusing to me about Percy is that his swelling seems to improve with the anti-inflammatories. Is it by chance Piroxiam you are using? That has actually been shown to help shrink some oral tumors. Anyway, I am sure your vet can help guide you in the right direction.
-Susan H.
shmurciakova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

Susan,
Percy is our 8th hedgehog. The first seven were all concurrent. That wasn't intentional, but our female hedgehog gave birth to five babies shortly after we got her. We said we'd adopt them out when they were old enough but by the time they were 6 weeks I was too in love to let any of them go. So for a little over 3 years we owned seven hedgehogs. And they all died within a year of each other. All but one from cancer. None had oral cancer, however.

His prolapse was better the next day and he hasn't had any issues since with it. He's peeing and pooping just fine and they're normal sized poops. I'm not sure what the anti-inflammatory is, but I was going to bring up Piroxiam at the vet appoint. We're scheduled to see the vet today at 5. I'm really hoping things go well, though I suspect otherwise.

I won't let Percy suffer needlessly if he's in pain. One of our previous 7 was sick and I took her to the vet (a different one than we see now) and they told me she wasn't ready to be put down even though I knew in my heart that she was. So I waited a day. And instead of dying peacefully she died in agony in my hands, making awful noises as I cried and held her and promised myself that never, ever would any animal of mine suffer like that again if I could prevent it. I feel like Percy is close to the time we'll need to let him go, but not quite there yet. I just want outside confirmation of that fact.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

The vet confirmed that Percy has oral cancer. Percy probably has 2-6 weeks at most. He's on an anti-inflamatory/pain med and we're playing with him as much as possible and giving him extra cuddles and love. The vet felt now was too soon to put him down as he's still so active, eating, drinking and pooping well. I asked about Apocaps, Piroxicam & Benadryl. The anti-inflammatory he's on is in the same family as Piroxicam so should offer the same benefits. The vet felt Percy's particular cancer was unlikely to respond to Apocaps or Benadryl. He said when Percy stops eating again it's a sign he's ready to go, until then, love on him as much as we can and take it day by day.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm sorry to hear the news. Give Percy some extra snuggles and love from HHC. I'll send you guys good thoughts. <3

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cancer, jaw, not eating, vomit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in