Hedgehog suddenly pooping lots - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog suddenly pooping lots

I've a great little hedgehog that I normally take out to run free each evening in my lounge. He hardly ever poops as long as I've let him go in the cage and the odd accident I can live with. However last night I took him out having seen two large poops in his cage and he pooped and wee'd on me twice will in my lap, I set him down to clean myself and came back to find two more poops and a wee stain on carpet, thinking no more can come out I clean the carpet leaving him to roam free. He goes to his favourite spot under the radiator and I spot another poop on the floor. Then while cleaning that he runs to my duvet I left on the floor and beds in, only for me to find three more poops in less than an hour later!!!!
I woke him this morning and put him in bed with me on a towel as I often do as a bonding thing at the weekend. Straight away three poops appear, I swap towels and he proceeds to poop 6 more times! They are all dark brown, a little soft but not runny, no mucus or blood, not green and he's about 7 months old. Is this just a dicky tummy or something more serious?
As stated there is no history of this and he was as close to house trained as you could ever make a hedgeie. There is no other signs of a problem, eating well, runs about okay.
Nick120180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'd at least take a stool sample in for testing at the vet, just in case. Usually sudden behavior changes like that are a sign to pay attention. Has anything changed recently, such as food, new treats, water change, etc.?

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

No nothing's changes at all, he's completely normal tonight, bombing round the lounge like a lunatic. I'll drop the stool sample in to the vet just to be safe. Maybe something I fed the cockroaches he eats had a laxative effect

Thanks.
Nick120180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 03:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hey Nick 120180! I have had my hedgehog for almost four years and he almost never has accidents, but in the last week he has been pooping all over me. I think our hedgehogs may have the same problem. If it was just a couple of days I wouldn't be concerned but it has been all week. Did you ever find out what was wrong?
jdhedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in