Either Hedgehog Constipation or Something Else. Please help. Very concerned. - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Isokeraunic

If you want higher quality photos I'll take and post them when my boyfriend gets home. I know the color is kind of distorted on my camera.
Isokeraunic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

In my experience, stools as described by you are often caused by something that is causing serious intestinal upset. I've seen it when dealing with cancer patients and those that are dealing with very bad infections in their GIs. I worry a lot that what you are describing is a blockage or partial blockage though.

Vomiting, constipation, weakness, anorexia and even diarrhoea can all be symptoms of a blockage.

The chewing at the air makes me worry that it is a sign of pain. Even the circling early on could have been a sign of discomfort.

Discoloration of the skin in the abdominal region could be a major organ being pressed again the abdominal wall, or it could be a sign of some internal bleeding.

I think you need to get your little one into see a veterinarian as soon as you can and be prepared to make some hard decisions. I do hope I'm wrong though and it does just turn out to be a very bad constipation.
MomLady likes this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Things have changed a little (again).

I contacted the vet and he's out of the office today. There are no other vets in the area that treat hedgehogs, the only ones within an hour's driving distance are extremely overpriced. I talked to my vet today, and he's having his assistant make up some antibiotics for her. The mixture contains these: Amoxicillin, tuilan, palasin, probiotic powder, and endosor.

We're feeding her chicken baby food and nutrical diluted with water. She's had 4 teaspoons of it today and is eating more eagerly. She looks more alert, though she's still quite lethargic.

Judging by this poop I'm thinking she might just have a GI infection?

Old 11-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

It would be best to take a fecal sample in to the vet and have them send it away to see what it actually is. Different infections require different treatments. Or it could be a parasite.

It's best to find out prior to giving antibiotic. They must be off antibiotic for minimum 3 days before a sample can be tested and if this would turn out to be something life threatening three days is a long time to wait to find out what it is and what is needed to treat it.
nikki and Lilysmommy like this.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thank you everyone fr your help.

We lost Frozone on the 19th. She'd been fading fast that morning, but I was still doing what I could for her. I recognized the signs when she started to go, and held her through the whole thing. She died a very loved, very appreciated hedgehog. I feel lucky to have been with her and able to comfort her through that last transition.

She was only really calm when she was being held after she started going downhill. She'd circle in her cage and look frantic, but when we held her she snuggled up and would sleep and cuddle. We buried her in the shirt I'd been holding her in so even in her grave she'd be held.

I feel very blessed to have had her be a part of my, short though that may have been.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:11 AM   #16 (permalink)

I am so sorry to hear this. She was such a pretty girl. It's good that you could comfort her at the end and she knew you loved her.

Take care of yourself.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #18 (permalink)

Oh no, I'm really sorry you lost her. I hope your doing ok, I know how hard it can be.

Rest in Peace Frozone
ellisrks01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
constipation, hedgehog health, please help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in