2 year-old hedgie not eating, peeing or pooping Ė PLEASE HELP =( - Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2 year-old hedgie not eating, peeing or pooping Ė PLEASE HELP =(

I have a 2 year-old female hedgehog (2 years, 3 months) named Bailey who has never had any issues before this week.

Six nights ago she didnít touch her food so I replaced it, the next night, she tipped over the food bowl and still didnít eat Ė I replaced it again and after the third day I started to panic because she hadnít been pooping either Ė those first two days she peed a little bit though.

Itís now been 7 days that she hasnít been eating. Yesterday I got her to eat one kibble and 3 dried mealies, but earlier attempts with pumpkin, mineral oil, smashed food and soggy food in a pipet didnít help either.

Assuming it was some sort of intestinal block, I tried giving her warm baths, pumpkin, massaging her tummy and mineral oil because those are what I read about doing.

Her personality hadnít changed much but sheís stopped running on her wheel at night and she sorta slumps over a lot which sheís never ever done before.

Two days ago I noticed a bump on her underside close to her bum that I may not have noticed before, but Iím pretty sure itís new although I canít tell if itís growing. I also think she might be a little shaky.

She started drinking a little water yesterday and today although not very much.

I brought her to a vet in the ER three days ago but couldnít afford the ER fee AND x-rays ($490) so I came away with pipets to hydrate her, planning to bring her back if she appeared to be in any pain.

Iím considering biting the bullet today and taking her but does anyone know what might be going on with her? - Or anything else I can try?

Also Ė are x-rays conclusive for hedgies? (The exotics vet didnít sound hopeful that the x-ray would certainly be diagnostically meaningful)
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-09-09 at 9.20.27 AM.png (522.0 KB, 9 views)
annied123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

She needs to be syringe-fed immediately, regardless of whether you go in to the vet or not. She has gone way, way too long without food - hedgehogs shouldn't even go for 2-3 days without eating before they should be syringe-fed. You can get needle-less syringes from a pharmacy, usually, if you can't stop in at your vet's and get some. They'll work better than pipets. You can either crush her kibble into dust, then mix with water (you'll need to mash it again after mixing, and possibly put it through a strainer to make sure it'll go through the syringe), you can get canned food (if you do go to the vet for syringes, ask for Hills A/D or Carnivore Care), or you can use baby food. Chicken or turkey and sweet potato work for emergencies. Here's our sticky on syringe-feeding with more tips - https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...ng-sticky.html

It's essential that you get food into her ASAP. Even if it's daytime now, wake her up and get some food into her, as much as you can. However much she eats, say 3ml, then you'll wait 3 hours to feed her again. She's going to need to be fed round the clock right now until she can get some strength back.

I wouldn't worry about getting to the vet just yet. If you guys have a regular vet, go ahead and book an appointment for as soon as you can get her in. But right now, the most important thing is to get food into her. Make sure she stays warm as well.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
lump, not drinking, not eating, shaky hedgehog, vet advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in