Too much pooping D: D: - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Too much pooping D: D:

hi! i just got an adorable, feisty little three month old hedgehog. she is an absolute pooping machine, and i'm wondering how i should handle this?

should i just resign myself to cleaning her cage and wheel every day (or even multiple times per day?), or is there some way to littler train her...? or perhaps there's something i could do that i haven't thought of? any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
josie oak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Babies poop a lot. There's really not much you can do about it. Her wheel will likely have to be cleaned every day for her entire life - most hedgehogs poop on their wheel no matter what, so that's not likely to change. Most people roll with it and put a litter pan under the wheel to catch run-off. You can try to litter-train her, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work. Some will catch on, plenty of them won't.

A couple of questions - What are you feeding her? And what kind of bedding are you using? Where is she pooping - all over the cage (as I'm assuming) or in any particular spots?

Most likely, the end answer is going to probably be "Sorry, deal with it." Hedgehogs poop a lot, babies especially, and it's part of living with them. She will slow down when she gets older though, most likely. But it's definitely not going away.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

hi, thanks for the response! i'm feeding her this one brand of cat food that the breeder i got her from fed her, i'm not quite sure what the name of it was. i'm currently using fleece bedding. the poops are pretty much only on and around her wheel area, just tons of tiny little turds lol. i guess if nothing can be done about it, i'll just have to deal. i only worry about her pooping so much that my only interactions with her are with her poop and not herself!

Last edited by josie oak; 08-15-2013 at 01:24 PM.
josie oak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The reason I asked about food brand is because low quality foods often lead to more poop - more fillers, less that can be used, so there's more waste. If she's on a lower quality food, a high quality cat food might improve things.

Sounds like it isn't too bad then - if she's mostly on and around the wheel, just clean the wheel daily. In the morning will keep it from sitting and being smelly all day. If you put a litter pan under the wheel, that will catch what comes off it while she's running. You can also make little placemats of fleece to put underneath the wheel area - that might catch the rest of it and you'll only need to change those daily rather than the whole liner.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sweetergrrrl

Well if it is anything like Dosa, I try to watch her a bit when she first wakes up and her first thing is to check the food bowl (which I fill after our new little ritual) then she goes for a little run. She usually has a HUGE poop about then and I stop her wheel to pick it up with a paper towel. Then I fill her bowl and let her do her thing. But I have found that the first poop is the worst and if I get it out of the way, her feet tend to stay pink rather that brown lol

sweetergrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in