Constipation? Abscess? Tumor? Impaction? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Constipation? Abscess? Tumor? Impaction?

Hi,

I am adopting a rescue female that is approximately 3 years old. She has a huge lump by her rectum and a small blood filled mass on her lip. The owner didn't notice it until a couple days ago. She claimed that she was eating, drinking and acting normal but I don't believe it. She also freaked out when the lady that got her last night tried to put her in a small amount of water. She has poop all over her quills, dry skin, bright green-tinged fur around her face from not having a bath. She is a very large hedgie so I wasn't sure if she is obese but I don't have her weight. She goes to the vet tomorrow since that is the earliest they can squeeze her in.

The lady that rescued her is trying to give her some canned pumpkin and some baby food and she won't eat any of it. My previous hedgie never had any issues so this is the first for me.

The mass feels kinda squishy when she relaxes. There is no give at all. She also has tattered ears.

I'm trying to upload pictures but it will not let me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am willing to try anything to get her some relief until we can see the vet.
perkinsmom18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Is the rescuer just offering her the food, or syringe-feeding her? I would syringe-feed her, to make sure she's getting food in her stomach. For the poop on her quills, etc. you can do a steam-bath instead: get a bowl of warm water and a washcloth and just lay the wet washcloth over her quills. The crud will loosen as it gets wet and you can wipe it off. That might help get some of the mess off, without upsetting her too much. Just make sure the room is nice and warm when you do so, and dry her off afterwards to avoid her getting chilled.

The ears can be helped with rubbing some bag balm, flaxseed oil, etc. on them daily. They're not a huge deal though, so if she's already quite upset and doesn't want you touching them, I wouldn't fuss about it.

I'd help with uploading pics, but I"m not sure how to do so on this forum set up yet, so I'm not much help, sorry! I'm so glad you guys both have this poor girl now, and are getting her into the vet. Please let us know how it goes!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

The lady who has her now is just trying to syringe-feed her but it isn't working. I used to work at a vet's office in high school so I am going to try different ways to get it in her.

I worked my magic and she is going into the vet today at 4:10 so I'm hoping no tumor. Anything else we can deal with just no tumor. My Perkins got an oral tumor but he was at least 7-8 and I'd hate to see a young hedgie have a tumor.

Could I give her some unflavored pedialyte with the canned pumpkin? Get those electrolytes back up. She is alert and active but I'm afraid she is probably dehydrated now.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

I will update my thread after we get home from the vet's tonight. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Where are you located Kelsey? We are in Michigan too. I am in Cadillac.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yeah, I've read that you can give Pedialyte to help with hydration, so that should be good. I hope it's not a tumor as well...good luck! And I'm around the Lansing area, mid-Michigan. Nice to see another Michigander on here!

Old 07-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

She did pretty well at the vet's office. She does have cancer. She has three spots-the one by her anus, one under her chin, and a small blood filled one on her lip. We don't want to do surgery since it is too risky so I am going to try to spoil her the best I can and let her tell me when it is time to go.

I did get her to eat some watery Spike's Delight tonight. Probably about 20 cc or more by syringe. We think her olfactory senses aren't working since she wouldn't eat any food in front of her face but once you opened her mouth and put some of the food mixture in she lapped it up without any fighting. She hasn't ate in about 5 days. I'm still going to offer her some watery food and water at night just in case she may eat it. I still plan on syringe feeding her from this point on. She weighs about 13 oz so I am going to start a chart with daily food and weighs so I can keep track of it and notice if she starts to eat less and assume she is in pain. We wanted to wait to start the Metacam since it could damage her kidneys. I hope the cancer doesn't spread fast so she can at least have some more longevity with a happy family and know what it means to be well-taken care of. She has never had good family since she was purchased at a Petsmart years ago.

I feel so sorry for this baby girl. I will be sad when her time comes and of course cry but I will never be sorry that I rescued her.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm so sorry about the bad news. On the other hand, I'm so glad that she found you, even though it will be hard for you. She deserves to have a good home and be spoiled rotten before her time comes. It's good to know that she'll get that with you finally.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Aww so sorry for the diagnosis but, as Lilysmommy said, at least she will know love for a while . Keep us updated if you can!

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in