Malvina and The Green Poops (a horrible book/band title) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Malvina and The Green Poops (a horrible book/band title)

Okay, here it goes.

Mal has been doing great. She poops, pees, eats, sleeps, and is even starting to fill out into a proper hedgie teardrop.

I have her on BBkitten, and a mix from Moxieberry, as we are working on her weight (she's been a bit skinny).

Our evening schedule is generally as follows: 7:45p she gets her footbath if neccessary -- 8p-10:10p she snuggles on my lap in her fleece bag (I've tried the exploring thing....she's just a snuggler, lol) -- 10:10 her light goes out and I put her in her cage for some food and wheeling ---- 11:30p is generally when she stops wheeling and goes back to her igloo to sleep, I then get her back out to sleep on me for about an hour/hour and a half --- 1am she is placed back in her cage for the night.

During that first period of time when I put her back in her cage after snuggles she will do her business. Last night as every night, the poops were solid and brown, and the pee was clear/yellow. When I just went to check on her this morning she had just finished up her 7am wheel and for a change had pooped on the paper towel and not in her wheel. The poop wasn't very big, but it was a bit squishy and green. I think this has happened the last two nights, but on those occasions she pooped in her wheel so it all looked the same.

My question is, why would the first half of the night consistently produce normal healthy poops, and the second half of the night bring green poops?
Also- the past week I have noticed during her footbath that she will have a bit of poo stuck under her tail (which she isn't terribly fond of me cleaning off, )

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Katis228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Malvina and The Green Poops (a horrible book/band title)

Have you added anything new to her diet ( bugs, veggies ... ) and / or is she eating well? My Emma did this too me about 3 months ago and she is actually currently have green stool again due to a combination of what we are suspecting is a food allergy / from medication she is on / food being force fed cause she will not eat kibble on her own at all. Might be worth having her seen by a vet even if her appetite is only slightly off.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the response Mommatobe.

I was re-examining the 'green poop' from last night and realized two things: 1. it wasn't poop, it was just a bit of green mucous, a very small amount, just strung out, lol. and 2. last night before I could clean off her poop boots Ms. Mal cleaned them herself (sucked her toesies clean ) along with the poop on her feet there was also a very very small amount of fleece from where she had dug at her fleece bedding to get comfy.

I'm thinking right now that the fleece caused the irritation which led to the green mucous. I will keep an eye on her, and rest assured if I see anything other than just a bit of mucous she will be making a vet visit

Katis228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Could definitely be a mild upset from either cleaning her feet herself and / or fleece ingestion. Hope she does alright and there isn't anything else going on with her. Would hate for anyone to be going through what my Emma and I are currently going through. Good luck with her!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in