Anorexia/Green mucousy BMs/inflamed intestines! - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anorexia/Green mucousy BMs/inflamed intestines!

Please help...I am looking for any info from preferably the more experienced owners/breeders on here. My Emma has in about 48 hours gone from completely normal ( eating/drinking/wheeling normally, urinating and defecating normal amounts, active and still her sweet self) to anorexic, quiet and passing green mucous like feces. She was at the vet yesterday and was anesthetized so the vet could do a very thorough exam and she has an enlarged dark green gall bladder and inflamed intestines. Fecal tests were ran and are negative. She has been on the same mix since I got her (fresh batch made in November and I freeze it and only take out about two weeks worth to a months worth at a time - the mix comes from her breeder who is a member here and I trust her 100% when it comes to the food she provides for Emma). She only ever has mealworms twice a week for a treat (she will not eat anything else, we have tried). I did purchase a new batch of mealworms about two weeks ago and her last one she had was Monday (Tuesday night she ate less then normal then Wednesday and last not nothing at all). She is currently on anti-biotics and I am force feeding her a/d. I trust the vet I bring her too (used to work for her and she is an amazing vet). I just know that each vet is different and some have more experience then others and wondering if anyone else has ever been through this before and if they got a diagnosis. Just wondering if we are missing something. Also she is still on a kitten mix cause she was very under weight for the first 4 months or so that I had her and between myself, her breeder and her vet decided was best to keep her on that mix at least for a couple to few more months. So I guess I am also wondering if anyone has had this happen cause their hedgie's diet was "too rich" for them. She is 350 g (normally 370g) and slightly over her ideal weight (she is not a big girl at all). I know this is at lot of info/questions. I guess I am just looking for anything that may explain what may be going on. I am just beside myself watching her go through this and want to make sure I cover all my bases and explore all "possibilities". She is my and my bfs baby and we will do what ever needs to be done for her and I just want to ensure I am not missing something being in the "thick" of it. Thank you for reading and responses,
Sincerely, concerned Momma

Old 01-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Anorexia/Green mucousy BMs/inflamed intestines!

I don't know what to suggest. I have had an issue like that where he got sick with horrid poop, quit eating and went downhill incredibly fast but it was an intestinal infection. The in house fecals are not as thorough as the ones sent to the lab but even so, it should have showed up something wrong so then it could have been sent out for an accurate diagnoses.

What is in the mix of foods? If it was that particular batch of food that she has been on since November, it should have showed up sooner. The exception would be if and this is just an example, the food was too high in protein that over time caused renal issues. I'm not saying this is a renal issue, just using it as an example.

Inflamed intestines happens with intestinal infections and can happen with any upset to the digestive tract. Giving something to coat the intestines will help settle it down but may not cure the problem until the cause is found. I've never had a gall bladder issue with a hedgehog, only myself and gad I know how painful that is.

I would look up the batch numbers of the foods and see if there have been any recalls just in case it is something to do with the food. Then you can cross one thing off the list.

What meds is she on?

Otherwise, sorry I can't be of more help except to say to syringe feed her frequently and make certain she is getting enough food and water and she may need a bit higher temperature while she is sick.

Poor little girl. I hope she gets better quickly.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for your response Nancy. I will be sending a fecal out to the lab my clinic uses on Monday and doing another smear in house as well ( I work at an animal hospital just not for the one that does exotics where she was seen Thursday evening). I am waiting for her breeder to email me back about the food (I purchase it directly from her, she is a registered breeder and a member on here, I trust her mix since Emma did so well on it till now), hoping if this is a issue with the food she would have heard from other owners / had some of her own hedgies become ill. I am hoping it is just the mealworms that upset her since it was a new batch i got only two weeks ago and she only had a few of them before becoming ill. She is on clavamox drops for now but if no to little improvement by Monday I will be getting her something else. She is taking the syringe feeding fairly well also. She did eat a few kibble last night and is up a couple grams. She definitely has more energy today then she did yesterday when I was feeding her as well. Also her feces are still pretty mucousy but the colour is not as bright of a green as it was yesterday and there is some "brown" colour to it so hoping she is going in the right direction. Her cage normally is at 75 so put an extra blanket over the one end (usually have at least the front half covered cause it is pretty cold here this time of year) and turned her CHE up a bit, it is around 77-78.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Throw the mealworms out. I will tell my storey about mealworms after she is all better.

It's good that she is showing improvement and pray it will continue.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

The mealworms met the garabage Thursday morning. I got them from a different store then usual. ( the one I normally buy from is about 30 min away and i was not going to that end of town any time soon, never making that mistake again). I don't like giving her too many mealworms but she will not eat anything else, no fruits or veggies, not even chicken! But I think after this we are going to have to get her liking something else. Looking forward to mealworm story once this nightmare is over!
Old 01-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Get well little Emma.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

How did this turn out? I have a hedgie in a similar situation who will not take her antibiotics mixed with anything anymore and will not eat anything but crickets and mealworms.
hhnovice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in