very prominently green mucous and white poop - Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2020, 12:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy very prominently green mucous and white poop

Hey!! So since I last posted I have gone to the vet and I have my little Astro on .05mL of Metronidazole every 12 hours which is the antibiotic the vet gave me for his diarrhea and a pinch of Fortiflora Feline probiotics with his food. I am still giving him a multivitamin every other night with his food also. I did try the pumpkin before this visit to no avail. Iím so afraid of whether or not Iím doing the right thing because giving him his meds orally stresses him out so much to the point where he just starting pooping out the most green mucousy stool heís ever let out. Iím afraid the stress Iím putting him in with these meds is making it so much worse and Iím at the point of breaking down.

a video example of his stool: https://youtu.be/_xyKeC3vvKY

Iím at a loss at what to do. I spent $445CAD on that vet visit and Iím 17 years old working at a restaurant. Itís not about the money, its about my babys life which is why I went ahead with it. Iím still waiting on the results of the stool sample and if it comes back with nothing wrong and these meds donít work then they will do blood work. Then if that comes back with nothing they will do an x-ray. I feel like Iím sitting here and every passing second Iím letting him get worse. Maybe Iím overreacting, but Iím terrified.

I am still feeding him 2tbs of Blue Buffalo Indoor Health a night and he is still drinking, and running normally. He is still the most social little curious ball of quills and I love him with all my heart. His attitude hasnít changed one bit so I know he isnít in pain. If anyone has any insight at all it would mean the world. He is 9 weeks and 1 day old and weighs over 200g. Thank you.
astronling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

First take a deep breath. If he is 9 weeks old, you haven't had him for that long. Going to a new home is stressful. Some react worse than others. Their GI can go crazy from stress. Green stools are a common symptom in stressed hedgehogs. That stress can be from a new home, new foods, medications, etc. Also try to remain calm, if you are panicking or stressed around him, he will pick up on that and it can cause him to react negatively too. These little guys can be very sensitivity to how we are behaving ourselves.

You have lots of things going on with this hedgehog. The loose watery stools are the most concerning. You need to continue with your veterinarian's diagnosis until told otherwise by your vet. If the stools get worse, call your veterinarian's office and ask for advice.

Antibiotics will cause green stools. Its a very common side effect and often the color will go away a few days after you stop the antibiotics. You can try to combat that with a probiotic given mid way between doses, but even then their stool often will have some green color to it. It normally goes away a few days after you stop the antibiotic. Do not stop the antibiotic just to get rid of the green. Call your veterinarian before stopping medication prematurely. If he has a GI infection, stopping it too soon can make it harder to treat later.

Your description of him pooping like crazy when you give him meds, is fairly normal. Hedgehogs will poop like crazy when they just want to get away. It will often get better as he starts to understand what you are doing and as you, yourself, get more comfortable with medicating him. I have one that will start to do that if she is exposed for too long. She is very shy and being forced to stay out in the open for very long stresses her out. Once back in a snuggle bag, she's fine.

Did you change his diet when you brought him home? How long has he been home with you?

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalandra View Post
Did you change his diet when you brought him home? How long has he been home with you?
I canít thank you enough for your reply, it means so much to me and reassures tons. When I brought him home he was immediately put on Blue Buffalo Indoor health which is different from what the breeder gave him. I got him on June 5th so a little over three weeks ago when he was 6 weeks old. On June 10th I brought him to the vet for an initial just wellness check and they gave me Purina kitten food which after further inspection was very poor. I mixed that in with the Blue buffalo for two days and then stopped. Iíll continue giving him his meds and Iím glad that the things happening are normaló I felt so relieved reading your response. Itís Sunday so I wont be getting a call back on the stool samples today but Iím hoping to get it within the next few days. Itís definitely upsetting him stressing him out when I give him the antibiotics but I know its better in the long run.

Heís a very happy little guy and I hope he can get past this Thank you so much again.
astronling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

That's a lot of change for a little guy in a short period of time.

When I have a hedgehog that I need to change their diet, I normally do it over a 3-4 week period, changing no more than 1/4 at a time. This allows me time to monitor to see how well they are eating the new food, and to monitor their stools. If the stools are loose, green or mucousy, we slow down. I may reduce the amount of new, or just give it a longer schedule to allow the GI to adjust. If the stools return to normal I may bump up the schedule a little, especially if the hedgehog was being fed junk food.

For the antibiotics, take your time. You may try adjusting how you dose him. I had one that I had to get creative and figured out a way to give him meds while he was hiding under a blanket. Some have wanted to be squished against my body while I medicated them, some wanted to be nearly on their back in my lap, and others wanted to be sitting on their rump with my hand on their chest. Play around with it and you may find he doesn't stress over it as much.

Also, always approach their mouths from the side. Many become more resistant and squirmy when you approach from the front. Lots of sensitive whiskers are on the front of their mouths.

Another option is to mix it in with something else or to inject the meds in mealworms.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in