Urine - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Urine

Ok, I know I made a post before called this, but this is something different.
Since I got the new food, Igor’s urine as been smelling funky, and hella strong.
I told my mom about it, saying that it’s the protein the kidneys are breaking down. My mom then asked if it couldn’t cause his kidneys to fail if put under too much stress.

Now I’m asking you all, if his urine is smelling like this, can it be the protein, and is it a sign of the protein being too strong, and can it be a health risk to him?

I originally changed food to make sure his kidneys doesn’t have to struggle breaking down vegetable fibres and stuff. So my main concern is his kidneys.
Brooke2Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2019, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

And my mom just suggested me getting new food, since Igor isn’t “large puppy size”.
I don’t think she gets how difficult it is to get proper animal food in SA 😐
Old 10-02-2019, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

I couldn't say for sure if it's the protein content. But I do have a couple of questions.

First, what food is it? What is the nutritional breakdown? Generally you want a food that has between 30 to 35% protein among other things.

The other question is has his water intake changed at all? Also, has he had any new treats? Has any behavior changes occurred?
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ok, he’s currently busy changing from Royal Canin Kitten food to Orijen Large Puppy food.
His water intake seems to be the same as per usual, if not a little more since it’s getting a bit hotter.

The food he’s changing to’s protein is 38% and his royal Canin food is 34%, so it’s a 4% increase in protein.

Yes, he has been getting some Acana Free-Run duck Freeze Dried treats for dogs twice a week. I gave him his second one tonight. So he has only had two.

His behaviour is the same as per usual. I haven’t observed anything different about him at all.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ria

When I increased Holly protein nothing in the smell of urine changed and that was a 4% increase. However you have changed it to higher than Holly's.
I dont know if high protein does effect the urine smell.
That was the lowest protein orijen wasnt it?
We really need to find something with a lower protein to mix it but keep the meat up high.

If the royal canin is still being used they protein wouldn't be that high yet. So what stage are you on of taking the royal canin out? And can you work out a overall protein (I can try if you can't, or someone else might)
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Is the meat protein source different,as in beef changed to fish or pork? Some meats will cause different oders.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2019, 12:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

I did find Acana, Wild Prairie Cat Food, which has 37% protein and 20% fat. Would you suggest changing to this next month?

I’m still in 3/4 royal Canin and 1/4 Orijen. And if you could tell me how to work out the all over protein, I might be able to 😅

@belties
Yes, the Royal Canin had Chicken By-Product Meals in while the Orijen has chicken, eggs, flounder, herring and turkey.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ria

The basic equation is for a 50/50 mix – Fat (or protein) % of food A + Fat (or protein) % of food B DIVIDED by 2 = Total % of fat (or protein)
So lets say food A is 14.5% fat and food B is 20% fat and we want a mix of 80% food A and 20% food B we would do 14.5x80/100= 11.6 food A gives 11.6% fat in the mix, then 20x20/100= 4 food B gives 4% fat in the mix then we do 14.5+4= 18.5% total fat in the mix.

I've got the example using fat, but its the same thing.

To be honest the 1%difference may not make a difference. You could always work them into a mix together to see if you can get lower protein and fat overall. We can always keep a small amount of the royal canin because of the lower protein and fat to have a lower overall protein and fat. But only like a small amount so its not the bulk of the food, and then you can try and find another food with low protein and fat that's better.

Maybe see if you have ava weight management available, its a vet approved food thats why I'm suggesting it.

Sometimes depending on the hog fish makes their poo smell worse but never heard of it making the urine smell.
Same with any foods.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2019, 04:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Emc

Working out the GA of a combined mix is very easy once you know how to do it; you don't have to resort to 50/50 all the time. All you need to do is multiply the Protein (or similarly; fat or fibre if thats what youre looking for) by the percentage the food plays in the mix. For example; if Food A is 35% protein and makes up 75% of the mix, you multiple 35% x 75% = 26.25%. You do the same thing for Food B. E.g: if Food B is 30% protein and makes up the remaining 25% of the mix, it is 30% x 25% = 7.5%.

Then, because it is a combined mix, you add the two numbers together. So in the case of the example above, this would be 26.25% + 7.5% = 33.75%. Its the same method for if you wanted to make a 3 food mix, 4 food mix, and so fourth. Just multiply the protein by the percentage the food plays in the mix, and add together at the end for a combined mix.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Soooooooo ifffff iiiiiiii take my food’s protein, then it’ll be 38% + 34% / 2 = 44%?

Or Emc’s way -
38% x 25% = 12%
34% x 75% = 25%
12% + 25% = 15%?

So, Igor’s all in all intake of protein if I kept using royal Canin and Orijen together 50/50, will be 44%.
But his current intake of protein is only 15%?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in