Mucus poop? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mucus poop?

So I’ve just gotten two guinea pigs and I was holding my hedgie trying to spend time with her since I’ve been busy with the pigs, and she went to the restroom. And looked and her poop and it had this weird goop on the end? It was white opaque and jelly like. While only one of her droppings had some at the end some seem to be covered in a very thin layer of it. Her poop is also brown with dark green on some spots, which I know usually has to do with being scared or something. But the droppings are actually very solid. One of my guineas had the mucus like poop yesterday but it was only on one dropping, and I’ve been watching her. I looked it up I didn’t think guineas and hedgies passed diseases between each other.
Their cages are stacked but there is no interaction.
Zepplin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

I know that hedgehogs can get slimy/mucus looking poo from stress, and something else but I can't remember.

I don't know if it could link to the Guinea pig or not though. But someone else might know.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Emc

Sounds like digestive upset for the guinea pig to me - it could also be the case for the hedgehog, if not stress related. I'd keep an eye on both of them and if it continues, a vet checkup wouldn't hurt.

New animals should be quarantined; stacking them is not quarantine. They should have been in a separate room - guinea pigs can and do transmit disease and parasites to other species, hedgehogs included. It's too late for that now, but for further reference - all animals from unreputable sources (and I know you said earlier you got these pigs from a pet shop) absolutely must be quarantined in a room completely separated from all other animals in your house.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would have quarantined them from the hedgehog had I known they pass diseases. On my last post I asked if they did, but no one mentioned of one and I couldn’t find anything about it online. As for the guineas, I was quarantining them, but I then realized not only did they come from the same store, but they lived next to each other with only a smal panel separating them, and at the store the workers had me hold them both one after another exposing them to each other. Also since they’re from a pet store I have no idea what all the were exposed too. I discussed it in guinea pig cages forum and from the responses I decided that the quarantine wouldn’t really help anything. Again I wasn’t aware of them spreading things to hedgehogs at the time. They haven’t had any contact but I know thing can travel via air.

Sorry for the long reply
Zepplin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in